UKC

Achnashellach to Strathconon Path

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rimz 18 Feb 2014
Hi

Does anyone know what the path is like once you go past Glenuaig Lodge? Is it cycleable?

I am hoping to cycle to Inverness, and would ideally like to do it through Gleann Fhiodhaig to Milltown in Strathconon, rather than along the A890 Glen Carron Road.

Cheers

Rimz
OP Rimz 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Rimz:

Anyone have any knowledge of this/useful advice....
 Mike-W-99 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Rimz:

Have been there once, fairly certain the track becomes a stalkers track of unknown quality after the lodge. I certainly dont see much of a path in my photos.

Might be more on geograph - http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=763682
Tim Chappell 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Rimz:
Hello, Rimz--I've been as far as the corrie below Maoile Lunndaidh in Gleann Fhiodhaig from Achnashellach. As far as that point, it's certainly cyclable on a mountain bike.

I remember this well, because I was cross I hadn't brought mine. I never walk a track if I could be cycling it--the faster you're going, the more you can do with the day, and the less you wear out your moving parts, too.

The track gets pretty minimal at the watershed, but it's mossy grass, so it would be easily doable in dry conditions when there's no snow. In fact, one of these days I plan to do it myself.

What happens after that point I don't know, of course, but since by then you're already going downhill towards Scardroy, and since I've seen landrovers and the like in the area, I would expect the track to improve, and I'd be prepared to gamble my day's plan on this expectation.
Post edited at 19:09
OP Rimz 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Cheers for that Tim (and Mike). Yes, hopefully the landrover track on the map to the Lodge is good, and I think because it's downhill towards Scardroy, we're thinking it'll be worth the gamble, and gets us off the main road!

If I remember, I'll post a note of how it was (doing it end of next month).

Will check Geograph too.

Cheers
In reply to Rimz:

SSE are working on a new hydro scheme on the Glencarron side but it shouldn't affect bike access - might be a bit messy in places!
JinjaCoo 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Rimz:

Had a look on bing maps comparing the OS view with the satellite view and looks like path is good in places. This is a better way to do this kind of thing but, the daily limit of OS maps has been exceeded for the day so can't see the area at the moment. Try again in the morning (or in an hour?) at this site:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

OP Rimz 19 Feb 2014
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Ah right, you mean from the landrover track at Craig? That was meant to be the good bit! Oh well, just need to take it as we find it!

Cheers

Rimz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...