UKC

chamonix winter lift passes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 18 Feb 2014

More questions!! Sorry. I'm trying to budget an up coming trip to Cham in March and am confused with the lift pass costs.

Now, a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass is 56.50€ for 1 day, which is fine when using the lifts lots during a day of skiing...

But if I want to head up to the top of the Montets, ski down to the Argentiere glacier and then stay in the hut (as an example) then do I really need to buy a full days lift pass for one lift to the summit? Or can I pay for a single ticket separately for 27.20€ (as stated on the Chamonix website)

Same goes for going up to the Plan De L'aiguille which would cost 14€ for a single trip.

So really, what I'm trying to ask is can I pay for a lift separately as you would in summer and not buy the ski pass?

Cheers
Post edited at 21:00
 JohnV 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Yes, you can buy a one-way to the top of GM (no idea on price I'm afraid) or a one-way to the top of the midi (45 euro) or half way to either. If you buy a one-way on the first telepherique from the bottom of GM it is 13 euro, you can then use the lower chairlifts as they have no barriers, so you could do a whole day skiing the trees for 13 euro before skiing back to the valley floor...
OP Mr-Cowdrey 18 Feb 2014
In reply to JohnV:

Excellent, thank you. That's just cut the cost by quite a bit.

Cheers.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

If you want to go to the top of the GM there's usually a 30 min queue for the top lift. If you've bought your ticket in advance you can book a slot for the lift (on the internet) and save having to queue.
 Carless 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

you can see all the prices on http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/
including the individual tickets for each domain eg. http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/fr/presentation-des-sites/les-grands-mon...

For the days you do ski all day, consider whether Cham Le Pass is enough, but this doesn't include GM top
 frqnt 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

If you're going to buy a day pass, Le Pass or MBU, then the Rapid card is the way to go (assuming you don't want consecutive days access to all lifts). You can only purchase online but it has a set day rate for all lifts of around €40.00, less if you're just going to Les Houches.

If you're going one way then purchase these separately. I think you may be able to use the Rapid card credit to buy your one way tickets, too.
OP Mr-Cowdrey 19 Feb 2014
In reply to frqnt:

Cheers I'll look onto it. Only trouble is getting wifi connection each night!
 smithaldo 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: it's only the very bottom chairs that don't have barriers. The Bouchard and herse have them at grand montets.
 smithaldo 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
I think the rapid card is like an Oyster card where you put a certain amount of cash on it and it's a flat rate of 40e a day with your 7th day free. I think it costs 50e to buy so break even is about 7 or 8 days skiing.

I.e you don't need to charge it each night.
Post edited at 22:24
 RichardB 19 Feb 2014
In reply to smithaldo: hi, that's right you don't need to pre-charge the rapidcard as it just bills your card each time you use it (after about a weeks delay). 7th day skiing is free I think.

What is also spectacularly badly advertised is that if you buy it at the start of the season it is only 25 euros.

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...