UKC

"start" button for windows 8.1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 18 Feb 2014
So I've had to embrace the future (or the past) as Microsoft would like to see it and start using windows 8.1 because all my old computers have died and I had to go and buy a new one.

Already, I'm baffled by what on earth I'm supposed to do with the metro screen and I can't work out how to do jack sh!t with this computer so far.

I've heard somewhere that you can get your start button back doing the stuff it used to do on windows 7 (an OS that I thought was actually quite good), any idea how this is done and if using a third party version which is best?

Otherwise, is there anything to stop me resurrecting my old version of windows 7 on this new device? possibly running a dual boot system? A few people have suggested I should just get linux but Ive never used linux, is this a viable option so someone in this position?
Sorry about the million and one questions, I'm just starting lose all hope.

Thanks,
Gethin.
 alexcollins123 18 Feb 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

use the search option (float over the RHS of the screen) in place of start, and use 'Desktop' and its back to normal.
OP gethin_allen 18 Feb 2014
In reply to alexcollins123:

> use the search option (float over the RHS of the screen) in place of start, and use 'Desktop' and its back to normal.

Hmm, not convinced, the options thingy with the start option that pops over from the right seems to appear whenever it fancies more than when you want it no matter how much you move/wiggle/ leave the mouse alone at the right hand border.
 Niall_H 18 Feb 2014

If you find that you hate the Metro interface, it may be worth installing something like Classic Shell ( http://www.classicshell.net/ ), which gives you a Start Menu view on the installed programs (along with a bunch of other stuff, too)
 Neil Williams 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Niall_H:

Yeah, Classic Shell makes it work basically like Windows 7.

Neil
In reply to Niall_H:

That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Classic shell has done the job, excellent.
Thanks all.
Kipper 18 Feb 2014

Have you tried clicking on the thing that looks like a Window at the bottom left of you screen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...