UKC

Best van for the job?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Crimpchimp 19 Feb 2014
Recently I have sold my T4 and bought a caddy. This to me is ideal because of the added economy. The down side is that its a lot smaller. Some people have hiace's. Some ppl have the vivaro's and similar models. My current opinion is that economy wins over luxury and a bivvy bag can always be utilised for longer, fair weather trips. If you're very lucky u may be able to afford two or more vehicles and have a vehicle for everything. What's the best option for you? Looking forward to seeing the replys. People get very passionate about their vehicles!
 Mr Ed 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

Have a Caddy Maxi. Been a great buy so far. Huge amounts of space compared even to something like a volvo or passat. Not brilliant mpg but not bad ~40mpg with sea kayaks on the roof. ~45mpg without. Can put the middle seats down and sleep on a makeshift bed full stretch. I'm 6'4". If I was to do it again though not sure I might just go for a T5- saying that they were a fair bit pricier.
 Tom Valentine 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

I recently got rid of an old style 1993 Nissan vanette camper.
It gave me three brilliant years touring the UK but I got a bit worried about spares and I was always a bit edgy about the driving position - you sit in the crumple zone.

What is taking my interest now is the latest reincarnation of the Vanette- the NV200. Roomy, very economical and one or two professional converters about.

Of course, it would mean getting rid of the Octavia... ;(
 sihills 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

Just like you downgraded from a lwb t4 camper to a swb caddy.

remapped to 150bhp, goes like stink, still get around 45mpg, kitted out as a camper, with a 6ft bed in the back, cooker, sink etc. The bouldering mats go on the roof in the roofbox!

much better as a daily drive than the t4 was, but for long trips away i still miss the space I had in the t4.
In reply to Crimpchimp:

I'm part of the caddy gang, too. I spent two months living in it last summer and had (slim) friends stay in it with me. It's the perfect size for one, but I wouldn't want to spend any extended period of time in it with two or in the rain: filling it with wet things does not a happy-katherine make. I've been coveting the slightly-bigger-ness of the maxi (and a turbo), but in general I love my van.
OP Crimpchimp 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

Excellent. Yep agree with all. Wouldn't go back to a car. Caddy seems like a good compromise. Also fiat scudo and Peugeot dispatch look great. Maybe a roof box for wet gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...