UKC

Sunset & darkness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua 19 Feb 2014
If sunset is at 7.35pm how long before or after that would you need to start using lights on a bike? Also how long will it take to get fully dark?
Thanks

Am planning a bike ride that doesn't involve cycling at night!
 tim000 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

depends on the weather . somedays i would say lights all day . but i would think about putting them on 4.30-5 ish on a good day because your eyes will adjust to the light as it starts to get darker and you might not realise how bad it is for drivers . i always err on the side of caution and light up early
 rallymania 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

does it not depend on where you are on the planet (sunset and darkness being more abrupt the further you are from the poles)
 tim000 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

sorry , i read thats as 17.35 for sunset . oooops
Antigua 19 Feb 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Sorry its sunset in Brighton, UK. Not looking for anything scientific just a rough guess as to how long after or before sunset would you expect to need to use lights on your bike assuming that its a clear day.
 JamButty 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

I'd build in at least an hour, especially as you may get a puncture and slow you down.
Dusk is actually the worst time so I'd prefer to be lit up like a candle!
 Monk 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:
On roads I'd have lights on very soon after sunset. Off road you have more leeway but it'll get to dark much more quickly in woods than in open country.
Post edited at 18:32
KevinD 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

The highway code defines night as half an hour after sunset, which gives an idea of when its seen as needed for seeing. Then side lights are required from sunset. So you need lights at 7:35.
Personally I would want them prior to that. Depending on if its overcast anything up to an hour or so before (generally in flashing mode).

Plus you have how fast you want to ride and whether its offroad, especially under tree cover.
 Brass Nipples 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

Depends if overcast or not. Immediately if on road if to be legal. If off road then 20-30 mins or so before you start to lose trail definition.

sleavesley 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

Why not have something like Knog blinders which can be charged with USB, have up to 50 hours running time and can be fitted in a pocket so can be taken off the bike if leaving it parked anywhere?

This is for road riding.

I always have a rear light anyway as I would rather be seen than not.
 FrankBooth 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

I don't think it's a fixed-time thing - look around when you set off and if you can tell other bikes (or cars for that matter) have their light on, then it's dark enough to do the same. At dusk, your light is there to help you stand out, and it's more about contrasting with a dulling background, rather than anything else.
 Marek 21 Feb 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Think also about the increasing prevelence of attention-grabbing 'daytime driving lights' on cars. If some road user is distracted by them, they're not looking at you. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm starting to get into the habit of having 'see-me' lights (e.g., flashing LEDs) on in anything less than ideal conditions. Not that that include bright-but-low sunshine in the winter.
 ByEek 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

If you are planning a trip and trying to work out how much usable daylight there will be, I would say stop at sunset. Make sure you take your lights anyway. The light close to sunrise / sunset can sometimes be a bit flat or dazzling.
In reply to Antigua:

If running or cycling and it is a clear evening i always think i can see well enouugh for 30 mins after sunset. But as others have said if it is people seeing you that is the concern then 30 mins before sunset would be safer if it is overcast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...