UKC

Climbing book that are worth a read

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom F Harding 19 Feb 2014

Just finished Steve House's excellent book Beyond the mountain.

Anyone got any recommendations for my next read.
 JimR 19 Feb 2014
In reply to The_flying_climber:

Learning To Breathe, Andy Cave
 Mark Collins 19 Feb 2014

If you liked that then you could go for a rival, Tomaz Humar. That biography was great read for me last year. Am reading Tears of the Dawn at the moment, which I'm enjoying.
 PPP 19 Feb 2014

What about "Touching the Void"? If you haven't read it yet, of course.
 WJV0912 19 Feb 2014
In reply to PPP:

Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage by Hermann Buhl is fantastic
Graeme G 19 Feb 2014

Finished The Eiger obsession about an hour ago. Excellent read.
OP Tom F Harding 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Mark Collins:

I found the Tomaz Humar biography a bit of a let down. It had a slight wiff of exaggerated bull s**t. But i suppose some of his climbs had that on their own and the book just reflects this. It also could have done with a postscript about his final climb and the legacy he left. I'd still say it's worth a read though.

Who hasn't read Touching the void? Possibly one of the best bits of mountaineering literature ever written.

Added 'Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage' and 'The Eiger obsession' to my Amazon wish list. Thanks.

Gordon Stainforth's 'Fiva' is a must read...a modern classic
 deepstar 19 Feb 2014

The Shining Mountain by Pete Boardman,my favourite climbing book.
 John H Bull 19 Feb 2014
Second all the above (well all but 2 or 3), plus if you haven't read them already, Mountaineering in Scotland (WH Murray), and Mirrors in the Cliffs (J Perrin, ed).
Post edited at 20:31
 coinneach 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Just finished Fiva . . . . Really enjoyed it and at £1.25 from the local charity shop great value too ( sorry Gordon! )
In reply to The_flying_climber: Thin Air by Greg Child is a good read; Joe Tasker's Savage Arena an essential one. Walt Unsworth's definitive Everest is a worthwhile one too.

T.

In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

+ 1 to that. breathtaking stuff, the ending always seems in doubt, even though clearly its not....

tom patey's book was good

the villain is very good, but not an easy or comfortable read

Are the Dougal Haston books 'In high places' and 'calculated risk' worth a read.

My Amazon wish list is growing rapidly!
 John H Bull 19 Feb 2014
> Are the Dougal Haston books 'In high places' and 'calculated risk' worth a read.

No, but +1 for Thin Air and Savage Arena. And Deep Play (P Pritchard).

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

'The villain' was excellent, really enjoyed Moffats book 'Revelations' as well. Ron Fawcett's 'Rock Athlete' was a bit to much like reading someones tick list though.

Anyone actually read Jonney Dawes's 'Full of myself'. The £18 hardcover price has put me off. Wish he would finally release a paperback, he might actually sell a few copies then.
 John H Bull 19 Feb 2014
> Anyone actually read Jonney Dawes's 'Full of myself'. The £18 hardcover price has put me off.

Much better than the Moffat or Fawcett books, which are merely OK. I borrowed it off a mate, but will buy a copy and re-read it sometime, it's a consistently fascinating read and is unlike most climbing books (except it has the usual narrative context). Recomended at the price (£25 last time I looked).

Fraser 19 Feb 2014

> Anyone actually read Jonney Dawes's 'Full of myself'. The £18 hardcover price has put me off. Wish he would finally release a paperback, he might actually sell a few copies then.

A lot of places seemed to be selling them off pretty cheap from what I could see but I must admit, I still wasn't tempted. I've read a friend's copy of Moffat's 'Revelations' and thought it was excellent, so much so in fact that I've just bought my own copy.
 Ianto Bach 19 Feb 2014

How about "Vertical Pleasure, the Secret Life of a Tax Man"?

A fine read with a place on many a climbers bookshelf.

PPP 19 Feb 2014

I am fascinated by Jon Krakauer's books. They just resonate my own mind while reading. Have you read "Into Thin Air" and "Into the Wild"? The latter is not about climbing at all, but it's one of the books I have read more than once.
 due 19 Feb 2014

The Boardman Tasker Omnibus is a whopper, but you can get them all on Kindle now if you are that way inclined
In reply to PPP:

I'm a big fan of Krakauer too. Read 'Into the wild' and 'Under the banner of heaven' (About Mormons). 'Into thin air' is on the wish list already as well.

Is Krakauer's 'Eiger Dreams: Ventures among men and mountain' any good?

Ianto - 'Vertical Pleasure, the Secret Life of a Tax Man' is on the wish list already. Too many books to read and so little time!
 Blizzard 19 Feb 2014

you could try

The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev

and/ or

No Shortcuts to the Top

Both entertaining
 IanMcC 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Feeding the Rat by Al Alvarez about climbers' climber Mo Anthoine.
 Ianto Bach 19 Feb 2014

Another one for you,

"Psychovertical"

I
In reply to Ianto Bach:

Really enjoyed that, nice to get a book that steps away from the usual A to Z narrative.

Also liked 'Mountains of the Mind' by McFarlane, not just a book on climbing but on the role of the mountain in culture, history and religion.

And Fleming 'Killing Dragons' history of climbing in the alps, very much a history book but a good read.
In reply to bullybones:

Is Johnny Dawes the climbing equivalent of Bjork and Gaudi?
Discuss.
 Joe G 19 Feb 2014

> Is Krakauer's 'Eiger Dreams: Ventures among men and mountain' any good?

Yep, it's a collection of essays, all very well written, with quite a bit of humour in the writing. I remember the one entitled "On Being Tentbound" being particularly good. In fact I might just reach for the bookshelf to retrieve it now
In reply to coinneach:
I agree, Fiva is great ! I paid full price however
 tehmarks 20 Feb 2014

Cold Wars is definitely worth a read, and Andy K's writing is effortless to read to the point where I can barely believe he's in the slightest dyslexic. The chapter on his writing in Psychovertical has to be one of the most inspiring things I've ever read. Joe Simpson's other books aren't too bad either, I particularly enjoyed This Game of Ghosts and The Beckoning Silence. Also second Learning to Breathe - just read it a couple of weeks ago and it's really quite good.
 Euge 20 Feb 2014

K2: The Savage Mountain by Jim Curran
The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer

Both incredible histories of the mountains...

I'm struggling with Johnny Dawes book even though he was an idol of mine when I started climbing. The book is like someone just opened Johnny's head and let whatever spill out onto the pages...

Love all of Joe Simpsons books, his writing style is fantastic. The Beckoning Silence is my favourite.

Cheers
E

pebbles 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Euge:

> I'm struggling with Johnny Dawes book even though he was an idol of mine when I started climbing. The book is like someone just opened Johnny's head and let whatever spill out onto the pages...

which oddly enough is one of the reasons I like it.

I thought Walter Bonatti "the mountains of my life" was fantastic. Also really enjoyed. also Anderl Heckmair "my life" and Ron Fawcetts 'Rock Athlete'

Tom Last 20 Feb 2014
> I'm a big fan of Krakauer too. Read 'Into the wild' and 'Under the banner of heaven' (About Mormons). 'Into thin air' is on the wish list already as well.

Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven are both better than Into Thin Air, the latter being one of the most boring books I've read - only marginally more interesting than The Silmarillion.

> Is Krakauer's 'Eiger Dreams: Ventures among men and mountain' any good?

I thought this was his best book, but then I like short stories.

Dougal Haston's book In High Places is not good, also thought Joe Brown's The Hard Years was poor.

Cold Wars better than Psychovertical.

Johnny Dawes book really enjoyable in parts, a bit rambling in others. Dream of White Horses by Ed Drummond was similar in this respect.

Ron Fawcett's book boring.

Troll Wall by Tony Howard was excellent as was Fiva by Gordon Stainforth, which was the best recent release for me.

Nick Bullock's Echoes also highly recommended.

Of the older ones, these are good.

Murray - Mountaineering in Scotland/Undiscovered Scotland
Paul Pritchard - Deep Play
Al Alvarez - Feeding the Rat
Alastair Borthwick - Always a Little Further
Dave Brown & Ian Mitchell - Mountain Days and Bothy Nights
Tom Patey - One Man's Mountains
Mick Fowler - Vertical Pleasure & the other one... (although these maybe not so well written as the others)
Andrew Greig - Summit Fever
Jim Perrin - The Villain
Andy Cave - Learning to Breathe
Richard Askwith - Feet in the Clouds (about fell running)

HTH
Post edited at 09:17
 Bob Moulton 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

A couple of recommendations from the 1960s and before:

The Last Blue Mountain (1959) by Ralph Barker - about a disastrous OUMC expedition to Haramosh - the survivors made a point of getting a non-climber, an established non-fiction writer, to do the book, and I think it worked.

One Green Bottle (1951) by Elizabeth Coxhead. The best climbing fiction that I've ever read - not that that's saying much in my opinion!

Both may be hard to get hold of, particularly the latter.
 JuneBob 20 Feb 2014

I enjoyed Hamish MacInnes' book; Look Behind the Ranges I think it's called. A fair bit about the big bbc outside broadcasts and various other stuff, written in an entertaining style.
OP Tom F Harding 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

> Dougal Haston's 'In High Places'
Removed from Amazon wish list, shame his climbs are amazing and it would be good to read a well written account of them. Take it I should read the Bonner's books instead.

> Joe Brown's 'The Hard Years'
Heard that was poor, shame.

> Cold Wars better than Psychovertical.
Psychovertical was excellent. I would recommend it to anyone, climber or not.

> Gordon Stainforth's 'Fiva'
Now on the list, everyone seem to regard it highly.

> Nick Bullock's 'Echoes'.
Already on the list

> Paul Pritchard's 'Deep Play'
On the book shelf ready to be read. Is Totem pole any good?

>Al Alvarez - Feeding the Rat
On the list already, heard lots of good things about this.

> Mick Fowler - Vertical Pleasure & the other one...
Is that 'confessions of a tax man'? Its already been recommended above. I'm interesting just to read it for the accounts even if the writing is poor. Bit of an Icon to me.

> Jim Perrin - The Villain
Really good read this. Highly recommended.

> Andy Cave - Learning to Breathe
Recommended a few times above, now on the wish list.

Any of the Bonners books any good? Read I 'choose to climb' but found it pretty average.
 Tom Last 20 Feb 2014

Not read Totem Pole, nor the third one, the name of which escapes me. Neither have I read much Bonnington stuff. I started Annapurna South Face, but it was a bit boring. Maybe it gets better, so I can't comment really.

I wouldn't say Fowler's writing was poor as such, just maybe not up there with the best. The second book is called On Thin Ice.

Another couple that were really good were Hands of a Climber by Steve Dean about Colin Kirkus, likewise Kirkus' own Let's Go Climbing! is a fun read.

Others off the top of my head would be High Endeavours about Robin Smith (can't recall the author), also stuff by Tom Weir was good and years ago I read Conquistadors of the Useless by Lionel Terray, which I remember being a bit gripping and something a bit out of the ordinary, probably something of a classic too.

Another vote for Joe Simpsons other stuff, particularly This Game of Ghosts.

Compilations like Games Climbers Play are worth getting your hands on too.

Of all of those, my favourites are WH Murray's Mountaineering in Scotland etc, Brown/Mitchell Mountain Days and Bothy Nights, Stainforth's Fiva and Pritchard's Deep Play. They're all superb in their own ways.
 Tom Last 20 Feb 2014
In reply to JuneBob:

> I enjoyed Hamish MacInnes' book; Look Behind the Ranges I think it's called. A fair bit about the big bbc outside broadcasts and various other stuff, written in an entertaining style.

Yes I also enjoyed a MacInnes book called Climb to the Lost World about the 1st (climbing) ascent of Roraima.
 Ramblin dave 20 Feb 2014
I'd definitely second The Villain, One Man's Mountains and Full Of Myself. All interesting reads for very different reasons.

Also, I've just finished Shipton and Tilman by Jim Perrin, which was very good. The usual Jim Perrin caveats apply: he's interested in the psychology of its protagonists and the society and mountaineering culture that they were involved in as well as just telling some ripping yarns about adventures in high places, he has a bit of a tendency to bang on at length about his personal opinions on tangentially relevant topics, and he has a slight habit of including references to other writers and poets to no particular effect. But in most other respects it's excellent.
Post edited at 11:49
 wilkie14c 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:
> Yes I also enjoyed a MacInnes book called Climb to the Lost World about the 1st (climbing) ascent of Roraima.

Me too, excellent book.
Ben Nevis, really good historical section.
Fiva, as already said.
The only genuine Jones, fiction, page turner!
Andy cave/Simon Yates/Andy K - all good.
The old Welsh slate guide, for comedy value.
Post edited at 11:52
OP Tom F Harding 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

That must have been a really satisfying first ascent. Are there any other unclimbed tepui about?
 Tom Last 20 Feb 2014

No idea I'm afraid? John Arran who posts here sometimes might be the person to ask?
 jack_44 20 Feb 2014

Having a quick read of this topic and I notice Annapurna hasn't been mentioned. I loved that book.

I also enjoyed Now way down as well.
 Blizzard 20 Feb 2014
In reply to IanMcC:
Thats what I love about UKC, every once in a while you get gems of info, and this is a book I will order from Amazon ( forgiving their sins)

P.S. O yeah, the Villian is a great book too!
Post edited at 19:41
 andyharper 20 Feb 2014

Lots of worthy stuff here but if you want some light relief ....The Ascent of Rum Doodle is worth a try.
 Marcus 21 Feb 2014

Don't forget "Rope Boy" by Dennis Gray. Great book.
 Stone Idle 21 Feb 2014

No one has mentioned Jerry Moffat's book, Revelations. Totally inspiring!

> Any of the Bonners books any good? Read I 'choose to climb' but found it pretty average.

Chris Bonington's books have their own style which, these days, comes across as rather old fashioned. That's not in itself a reason to avoid them, but it's something to take into account. Of the various books he's published 'The Everest Years' is about the best and yes, I think it's worth a read.

If the characters and expeditions of the 60's, 70's and early 80's in which Bonington and others were involved does interest you then it might also be worth reading Clint Willis's 'The Boys of Everest'. Though not without its faults it is a readable account of that period of expedition climbing. When it was released there was a thread on here about it to which the author contributed (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=212824 ); it would be refreshing if more did the same.

T.

Co1in H 21 Feb 2014
In reply to The_flying_climber: Without wishing to be pedantic this book wouldn't have had a postscript or anything about a legacy as Humar was still alive when it was published.

Thank goodness some posters have mentioned books written before Touching the Void.
Check out the list of 50 best books by Neate or even 100 best mountaineering books on Chessler's website.
Purely the opinion of others, but there is a massive amount of good mountaineering literature out there. Last Blue Mountain by Barker is a favourite of mine. If you think Simpson was tough in TTV then read what Tony Streather did on Haramosh. Hero material.

OP Tom F Harding 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Co1in H:

Felling a bit angry Colin? Why?

> Humar was still alive when it was published.

My edition was printed after his death...

> Thank goodness some posters have mentioned books written before Touching the Void.

Of course people have mentioned books written before Touching the void. Why wouldn't they?

> Purely the opinion of others

All book reviews are the opinions of others. Book reviews would be a bit pointless if only the author of the book ever wrote them.

Chill out and think before you type.
 fire_munki 22 Feb 2014

The later Paul Pritchard books are less climbing more dealing with the aftermath of his accident. However they are still great books, I'm 2/3 of the way through the last book now.

Grab them from one of the many resellers on Amazon, I paid a 1p for each one plus a few quid for postage. I love 2nd hand books.

I agree about the Dawes book, I couldn't get into it, it's as if he wrote whatever came out!

Both Andy K books are amazing, I want more from him!
 Mick Ward 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob Moulton:

> The Last Blue Mountain (1959) by Ralph Barker

Agree. It made a big impression on me when I was starting climbing.

> One Green Bottle (1951) by Elizabeth Coxhead. The best climbing fiction that I've ever read...

Whining Cathy from Birkenhead! I lost my heart to her. The bit where she goes up to Cloggy and burns the toffs off. And yet they're her friends. The joy - and the sadness. Searching for her way in life. Ah Cathy...

Mick

jim jones 22 Feb 2014

The Burgess Book of Lies, one of my favorite reads and not mentioned yet (or if it is I've missed it).
 HansStuttgart 22 Feb 2014

Scrambles amongst the Alps - Edward Whymper
Conquistadors of the useless - Lionel Terray
Kiss or kill - Mark Twight
Against the wall - Simon Yates

Jim Walton 23 Feb 2014

So a few off the beaten track but which are well worth trying to find;

The Black Cliff - Crew, Soper & Wilson. The biography of Cloggy, totally inspiring.
Total Alpinism - Desmaison. One of the Hard Men of Alpinism
Creagh Dhu Climber - Conner. Biography of John Cunningham
Gervasutti's Climbs- Gervasutti. Great climber, great writer.

And an obvious one that no-one has mentioned

On the Heights - Bonatti. No words describe how good Bonatti was at both climbing and writing about it.
 Gawyllie 23 Feb 2014
In reply to The_flying_climber: looks like you have a lot of good suggestions here, i personally liked both the hastons books you asked about and would recommend them if you are interested in him, if you can get a hold of it eiger direct is good too.

Ive just read the first half of Pateys book 'one mans mountains' really enjoying it

Lionel Terray's Conquistadors of the useless, Walter Bonatti's Mountains of my life along with Herman buhl's Nanga Parbat pilgrimage are all classics by some exceptionally fine climbers

John barry's book the great climbing adventure is probably the climbing book ive most enjoyed reading.
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2014
In reply to shandola:

> Lots of worthy stuff here but if you want some light relief ....The Ascent of Rum Doodle is worth a try.

TAORD is very dated now, but in a way it isn't, a bit like ACD's Sherlock Holmes, it remains a great read. I have kept a copy in my bookcase for many years now and keep returning to it every year or so when I want to get expedition climbing into perspective again.
 Mountain Lass 23 Feb 2014

The Doctor Stories!

GJF Dutton

ml
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Feb 2014

After 45 years of collecting climbing books one that still stands the test of time is 'Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia' - very evocative of the interregnum between the woolly jumper brigade battling their way up XS and lycra clad anorexic weirdos cruising E5s!

Greenbanks 25 Feb 2014

The Burgess Book of Lies - excellent anthology
Samson - the biography ofMenlove Edwards
Maria Coffey - Fragile Edge
 Tony the Blade 25 Feb 2014

Not sure if these have been mentioned (I've not read the whole thread)...

Psychovertical - Andy Kirkpatrick
The Climb - Anatoli Boukreev
This Game of Ghosts - Joe Simpson
Learning to Breath/Thin White Line - both Andy Cave
Everest the Hard Way - Chris Bonington
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

And a couple of novels for you:
The Only Genuine Jones - Alex Roddie (Only A Hill of this parish)
The Ascent of Rum Doodle - WE Bowman
 Al Evans 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

The station buffet at Manchester Piccadilly used to be decorated by massive tinted blow ups from Rock Climbers in Action, it used to be great sitting there among all the commuters thinking 'I've done that'
 Jim Walton 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Would I be right in saying that Rock Climbers in Action was one of the first books where the Photographer (Cleare) hung from a rope to get the shots, as opposed to standing on a ledge etc.

I read a rumour (no-one talks anymore!) that Mr Cleare was thinking about bringing out an updated version of this book. Oooo that would be nice.

My copy sits on my shelf next to Black Cliff, they compliment each other quite well. Unfortunately my copy of of Rock Climbers in Action doesn't have a dust cover Anyone want to lend me there's so I can photocopy it?
abseil 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Psychovertical - Andy Kirkpatrick

+1 for Psychovertical, I think the best climbing book I've read so far.
 StuDoig 25 Feb 2014

One man's mountains - Tom Patey; absolutely superb.
Psychvertical and Cold Wars - Andy Kirkpatrick; also very good.
The ascent of Rum Doodle - ??; made me laugh anyway!
Cairngorm John - John Allen; sobering reading at times, but a good book/read.

I'm not a fan of any of Joe Simpson's books after Touching the void though.

Cheers,

Stu
 BelleVedere 25 Feb 2014

Read and Loved:

Jerry Moffat - Revelations (went out and climbed my first VS after finishing it, what more could you ask for, first read was fromlibary - but have since bought copy)

Dave MacLeods 9/10 climbers - essentialreading for climbing and life.

Happy climbing tells no tales (short stories) - sweet, with one terrifying!.

Gwen Moffats Space below my feet #girlcrush - can i be her?

Read and liked:

Arlene Blum - breaking trail (i enjoyed that she basically got crushes on everyone she climbed with, i would of course never do that)

Lynn Hills Auto Bio - Not amazingly written, but shes pretty cool.

WhiteSpider - took a while to get into, but worth the perseverance.

A bit hard going:

The Robin Smith Bio - iconic cover image but the book feels quite academic in tone.

Might add more when i remember

mav 25 Feb 2014

+ 1 for Deep Play, if you can find it. Especially the account of the Enchanted Broccoli garden. Also the Totem Pole, though it's more post-climbing

Also another vote for the Boardman Tasker omnibus. There is a reason they have a literary prize named after them. They can write.

In reply to BelleVedere:

>WhiteSpider - took a while to get into, but worth the perseverance

Blimey. I don't want to come over all Godwin, but are you sure about that?

jcm
In reply to Greenbanks:

>Samson - the biography ofMenlove Edwards

Isn't it called Menlove (the Jim Perrin one, anyway)? Perhaps there's another.

jcm
 Greenbanks 25 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Yes - you're right. I'm away at present and not able to check.
 rallymania 25 Feb 2014

if you are going to read "into thin air" by JK, then please, please, please read some of the other books by different authors about the same event.

as already mentioned "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev

i've just added "Left For Dead: My Journey Home from Everest" by beck weathers to my own wishlist

loads of good additions for me too, thanks everyone
 Gav M 25 Feb 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Many good recommendations above, but my own favourite hasn't been mentioned - Greg Crouch, Enduring Patagonia.
 caradoc 25 Feb 2014
Life and Limb, Jamie Andrew is gripping and very real.

Mountaineering Holiday, Frank Smythe is well written, old fashioned climbing literature from the pre war period. One of several interesting books he wrote at that time, worth reading for the amazing sexism of those times.
 bpmclimb 26 Feb 2014

Holding the Heights, by Jon Bassindale et al. Nothing glitzy about it at all, just an interesting, honest climbing diary by some good, but non-elite, climbers. I really like it.
 rodw 06 Mar 2014
Surely Mendlove by Jim Perrin has to be high on the list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...