UKC

Southern Sandstone conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbwhenready 21 Feb 2014
I imagine that we're going to need at least another week of dryish weather before we can even contemplate climbing, but can someone local confirm what the rock is like? I have images in my mind of bits of rock poking out of a lake right now.

Presumably Bowles is drying faster than Harrison's?
 CurlyStevo 21 Feb 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:
you can ring bowles and ask?

This can be useful but hasn't been updated for about a month regarding the rock condition unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/LaurenceReading

My guess is there will not be much fully dry rock at bowles but there could be some seeing as the wind is up and it's supposed to be sunny today and tomorrow.
Post edited at 10:53
 Choss 21 Feb 2014

Is there a Better Chance of stone farm rocks being Dry, being more open?
 Rob 21 Feb 2014

Not a brilliant crag but Happy Valley Rocks can dry quickly and be climbable when all else is too wet.
 CurlyStevo 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

No - stone farm dries a bit slower normally than bowles. Bowles is the fastest drying SS crag.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> you can ring bowles and ask?

It's a good point, I haven't managed to get through but if I do I'll update this thread.
 Trangia 21 Feb 2014

I've not been there very recently, but if you go on the Sandstone Volunteers work party at Bulls Hollow tomorrow you will be able to assess general conditions for yourself.

We are still getting showers generally in the SE and my gut feeling is that the rock is so saturated it's going to take weeks if not months before it's good to climb on without risking damaging the underlying rock even if the surface dries.

Please do publish Bowles report when you get through.
 CurlyStevo 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Well bowles was dry saturday in places apparently.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=579445
 CurlyStevo 05 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Anyone been to bowles recently? Thinking of heading along sunday.....
In reply to Choss:

Stone Farm was dry the weekend before last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...