Walls & Training forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Climbing wall rules.. again

Tom F Harding on 21 Feb 2014

Had an interesting experience at climbing wall last night and wondered what UKC have to say about.

THE SHORT:
Is it O.K. to teach someone to belay while you are climbing yourself?

THE LONG:
A couple came into an otherwise empty climbing wall. One of them was experienced, Lets say climber (A). The other, lets say climber (B), had obviously never climbed before, didn't know how to put a harness on or what a belay device was etc. On the way out I noticed this same inexperienced person (B) was belaying their partner (A) on a top rope.

The person climbing (A) had been teaching them how to belay as they were climbing themselves. The belaying by (B) was poor; hands to close to the device, jerky lowering etc. The person being lowered (A) was also being half lowered and half down climbing. Obviously worried about the quality of the belaying he was getting.

On the way out I mentioned it to a member of staff and was told that was fine as he had signed the 'supervisor form'.

I have a few thoughts on this but would be interested to hear some opinions.
... not showing 66 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums