UKC

UMF Hardy 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
king_of_gibraltar 22 Feb 2014
Hi everyone,

I recently came in need of a bike in order to get to work. I popped round the local bike shop and came out with a "UMF Hardy 4". TBH, it looked cool, the shop owner gave me a really good price (I think) in comparison to the other bikes there and it's now been working well for my commuting for a few weeks.

Whilst riding back home from work the other day I bumped into a friend who told me I should go out mountain biking with him some time. Now, here's my question, is my bike cut out for mountain biking? It kind of looks like a mountain bike but when I look at it online people are referring to it as a dirt/jump bike and on the manufacturers website it's under the BMX section...

Can any of you mountain bikers take a look at it and let me know if you think I'd get on alright going out mountain biking with a friend?

As you can tell, I know nothing about bikes ;p
 Voltemands 23 Feb 2014
In reply to king_of_gibraltar:
The steep geometry of the frame suggests to me that it is indeed designed for some specific jumpy/down hill business, but I'm also no expert on MTB frames so can't remember which.

Should this affect your decision to go out and enjoy your environment? No. Looks perfectly adequate for going out and hitting the trails.

Get out and enjoy!
Post edited at 07:04
KevinD 24 Feb 2014

Go for it. Looks best suited to jumping and bouncing off things but perfectly usable for general riding. So long as your mate is keeping it to sensible rides eg not taking you down a black run or going for a 100 miles it will be fine (then again if you arent much of a rider at the moment you would be buggered in either of those cases even if you were riding the right bike for the job).
king_of_gibraltar 24 Feb 2014
Sounds good guys, that's what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!!
Post edited at 19:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...