UKC

Relationship between sweating and physical fitness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 22 Feb 2014
Hi

I am pretty fit (yes this is hard to measure and subjective but bear with me) but I get hot when working hard walking into venues in Scotland and the bigger ranges. I see guides wearing a lot more layers than me - surely they must be baking, sweaty, wet and cold when they stop. Or, does fitness link to the amount you sweat? I know it does, but to what extent? Do some people just run hot or if you are super fit do you not get hot at all?

JezH 22 Feb 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Generally as you get fitter it takes longer to reach a level of exertion that requires sweating as you use less effort, but once you reach that exertion point the body begins sweating more quickly than someone less fit. A fit person will also stop sweating more quickly. It's due to efficiency in maintaining fluids. Also, some people just run hotter than others. I hope that helps.
 JimbotheScot 22 Feb 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

some folk are sweaty bettys

some folk sleep warm, some folk sleep cold
 nw 22 Feb 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:
IME, no link. Been a total bum, competitive thai boxer, Royal Marines Commando, regular mountaineer, irregular mountaineer, always a sweaty cnut.
Post edited at 23:05
 nw 22 Feb 2014
In reply to JezH:

> Generally as you get fitter it takes longer to reach a level of exertion that requires sweating as you use less effort, but once you reach that exertion point the body begins sweating more quickly than someone less fit. A fit person will also stop sweating more quickly. It's due to efficiency in maintaining fluids.

Any links for this or just what you heard? I've heard plenty of people say that sweating a lot is actually a sign of a fitness and an efficient system. Being sweaty I'm more inclined to believe them

JezH 22 Feb 2014
In reply to nw:

It's what my lecturers taught me when I was at Uni. As you get fitter you get more efficient, that's more or less the definition of fitness; your ability to do a task. If the task involves regulating body heat, then turning the sweat on and off quickly is more efficient.
There is always some level of individual variation and some people do just sweat more than others, but the amount will change with their fitness level.
In reply to iamaclimber:

I hardly sweat at all. The fitter I think I am the less I sweat.
 nw 23 Feb 2014
In reply to JezH:
> If the task involves regulating body heat, then turning the sweat on and off quickly is more efficient.

Exactly:turning sweat on quickly=being sweaty
Post edited at 10:37
 WILLS 23 Feb 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Body fat % plays its part also. As well as guiding on the hills on a daily basis.
 KlaasW 23 Feb 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

After a bunch of injuries, I started going to the gym every other day thee months ago. I know for sure that my fitness has improved a lot over that time (lower heart rate, quicker recovery) but I still sweat like a pig and much more than most. However, it does stop much more quickly
 Wil Treasure 23 Feb 2014
In reply to WILLS:

> Body fat % plays its part also. As well as guiding on the hills on a daily basis.

This is my theory. As I've got fitter I don't think I sweat any less, but I feel the cold more (and I sink when I got swimming) due to lower body fat.
 The Potato 23 Feb 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

I run a fair bit and Ive found that as my running fitness improves I need less water, so I also assume then that I must sweat less

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...