/ interval training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
Hello, hows things?

Does anybody have any advice on interval programmes or training? Im limited to a rower and treadmill as Im offshore.

cheers

marzi - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

on a treadmill

easy jog 10 minuite warm. Then run fast for 1/4 mile then jog 1/4 mile, repeat 4 times or as many as you can, 8 should take a hour.
IainRUK - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Basically try and get your efforts to add up to around 20 minutes.. at least 15.

So 3-4 x 1 mile, 5-6 x 1k.. 8 x 800m.. rest should be 100-50% of your effort.

Paul Atkinson - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

on a rower - warm up for 500-1000m then go full out for 20sec - check the distance you do in 20 sec

set the rower to 20 sec efforts with 20 sec rests - go for it always aiming to match the original distance in each 20 sec - repeat until you fail to match your distance 2 reps in succession at max effort - should be able to do 6 or more efforts

watch your distance and number of reps grow with time
Shani - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Skipping rope! Depending on your goals, Google 'Tabata' and adjust the protocol accordingly.
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Thanks everybody. Is there a recommended time for max effort interval sessions? Id been doing 40mins of hills on the machine but think that may be too long. I was burst.

Shani, Ive got a nice weighted skipping rope with me but the gym ceiling is to low.

cheers again
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

And how much times is best a week? I read 3-4x is plenty and any more plyometric or hard intervals can be not so good.
chris j on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

At the moment I'm in the same boat (not literally) but for the last couple of weeks I've been doing intervals on the treadmill.Warm up for 6 min at a reasonably ok pace for me (12km/hr) then 1 1/2 minutes fast, 2 1/2 minutes recovery. This is roughly equivalent to 400m sprint intervals I've done onshore (yes a slow sprint...). In the recovery periods I adjust my pace so my heart rate comes back down to 150 which for me means I'm recovered enough to go for another sprint. Some reading I did suggested you should be aiming to do about 8 sprints in the session, so far I worked up to 7 sprints and as my legs have acclimatized I'm managing alternate days. Including warm up and warm down the session takes me 40 minutes.
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to chris j:

Trying to stay balanced on the treadmill when the sea is rough is a decent enough challenge.

Do you know how often a week is recommended for the intervals? I dont want to over do it.

cheers
chris j on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I'm listening to how my legs feel at the moment and I think if I tried to do intervals more often than every other day then one of my tendons would explode fairly shortly after. I'm putting in stretching/gentle recovery sessions on the inbetween days as well. The first week I needed 2 - 3 recovery days between sessions but my legs are toughening up quite nicely at the mo.
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to chris j:

Cheers for that. Makes sense...
radson - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Do you have a helideck and occasional reasonable weather?

http://brad-jackson.info/picture-of-our-helideck-workout/
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to radson:

Got a helideck but with rain, 80mph winds and full PPE regs.

cheers tho
adamholden - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I have recently found a brutal new setting on the rower under Standard list called: 500/1. It's basically a 500mtr row followed by a one minute rest I have been targeting sub 1.50 for the 500 mtrs for ten reps. It's a killer but very good as it's short workout.
Enjoy.
mrbird - on 23 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

cheers will have a look tomoro
IainRUK - on 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

> Trying to stay balanced on the treadmill when the sea is rough is a decent enough challenge.

> Do you know how often a week is recommended for the intervals? I dont want to over do it.

> cheers

see 2.. 2-3 hard effort sessions is normal. I do high mileage so don't do that. But will try 1-2 but often just tempo sessions. But at first I'd go 2.
cb_6 - on 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I read this article a while back and this thread reminded me of it. I haven't tried it myself (I prefer kettlebell circuits or barbell complexes for interval cardio/conditioning) but it might be of use to you.

https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/interval_training_on_the_rowing_ergometer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.