UKC

interval training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrbird 23 Feb 2014
Hello, hows things?

Does anybody have any advice on interval programmes or training? Im limited to a rower and treadmill as Im offshore.

cheers

marzi 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

on a treadmill

easy jog 10 minuite warm. Then run fast for 1/4 mile then jog 1/4 mile, repeat 4 times or as many as you can, 8 should take a hour.
 Banned User 77 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Basically try and get your efforts to add up to around 20 minutes.. at least 15.

So 3-4 x 1 mile, 5-6 x 1k.. 8 x 800m.. rest should be 100-50% of your effort.

Paul Atkinson 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

on a rower - warm up for 500-1000m then go full out for 20sec - check the distance you do in 20 sec

set the rower to 20 sec efforts with 20 sec rests - go for it always aiming to match the original distance in each 20 sec - repeat until you fail to match your distance 2 reps in succession at max effort - should be able to do 6 or more efforts

watch your distance and number of reps grow with time
 Shani 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Skipping rope! Depending on your goals, Google 'Tabata' and adjust the protocol accordingly.
OP mrbird 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Thanks everybody. Is there a recommended time for max effort interval sessions? Id been doing 40mins of hills on the machine but think that may be too long. I was burst.

Shani, Ive got a nice weighted skipping rope with me but the gym ceiling is to low.

cheers again
OP mrbird 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

And how much times is best a week? I read 3-4x is plenty and any more plyometric or hard intervals can be not so good.
 chris j 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

At the moment I'm in the same boat (not literally) but for the last couple of weeks I've been doing intervals on the treadmill.Warm up for 6 min at a reasonably ok pace for me (12km/hr) then 1 1/2 minutes fast, 2 1/2 minutes recovery. This is roughly equivalent to 400m sprint intervals I've done onshore (yes a slow sprint...). In the recovery periods I adjust my pace so my heart rate comes back down to 150 which for me means I'm recovered enough to go for another sprint. Some reading I did suggested you should be aiming to do about 8 sprints in the session, so far I worked up to 7 sprints and as my legs have acclimatized I'm managing alternate days. Including warm up and warm down the session takes me 40 minutes.
OP mrbird 23 Feb 2014
In reply to chris j:

Trying to stay balanced on the treadmill when the sea is rough is a decent enough challenge.

Do you know how often a week is recommended for the intervals? I dont want to over do it.

cheers
 chris j 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I'm listening to how my legs feel at the moment and I think if I tried to do intervals more often than every other day then one of my tendons would explode fairly shortly after. I'm putting in stretching/gentle recovery sessions on the inbetween days as well. The first week I needed 2 - 3 recovery days between sessions but my legs are toughening up quite nicely at the mo.
OP mrbird 23 Feb 2014
In reply to chris j:

Cheers for that. Makes sense...
 radson 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Do you have a helideck and occasional reasonable weather?

http://brad-jackson.info/picture-of-our-helideck-workout/
OP mrbird 23 Feb 2014
In reply to radson:

Got a helideck but with rain, 80mph winds and full PPE regs.

cheers tho
 adamholden 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I have recently found a brutal new setting on the rower under Standard list called: 500/1. It's basically a 500mtr row followed by a one minute rest I have been targeting sub 1.50 for the 500 mtrs for ten reps. It's a killer but very good as it's short workout.
Enjoy.
OP mrbird 23 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

cheers will have a look tomoro
 Banned User 77 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

> Trying to stay balanced on the treadmill when the sea is rough is a decent enough challenge.

> Do you know how often a week is recommended for the intervals? I dont want to over do it.

> cheers

see 2.. 2-3 hard effort sessions is normal. I do high mileage so don't do that. But will try 1-2 but often just tempo sessions. But at first I'd go 2.
 cb_6 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I read this article a while back and this thread reminded me of it. I haven't tried it myself (I prefer kettlebell circuits or barbell complexes for interval cardio/conditioning) but it might be of use to you.

https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/interval_training_...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...