UKC

Learning to dive with the family

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blurty 24 Feb 2014
I used to dive years ago, The teenaged kids have said they'd be interested in learning.

Can anyone recommend a dive school abroad where we could learn as a family, PADI would be fine, the Med is where I'm thinking of.

Thanks

LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2014
In reply to blurty:

As I understand it, you can do much of the training in the UK - usually in a local pool, and then get a referral to do the consolidation dives somewhere warmer, typically Egypt.

Doing it this way means you won't be reading manuals in the evenings on holiday when you want to be out and about.
 Firestarter 24 Feb 2014
In reply to blurty:

You can't go wrong with Cyprus for learning - if you are going South look at Paphos. Worth noting it can get windy in the afternoon - sea legs required! My daughter learned to dive in the Red Sea - way better than the Med if you can go that little bit further.
 Edradour 25 Feb 2014
In reply to blurty:

We did a family thing to Sharm El Sheikh at New Year 2011 which was great. A few of us learnt to dive and there was stuff for the ones who didn't to do too. My mum and brother took a day trip to Cairo and the pyramids for example.

We were all adults and might be worth checking out the foreign office advice for Egypt now but, on the plus side, you'll probably get a good deal and Sharm is pretty isolated from the rest of the country - it's a bit of a tourist bubble. We went all inclusive, can't remember the prices but not a bad deal.
 Dave Garnett 25 Feb 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to blurty)
>
> As I understand it, you can do much of the training in the UK - usually in a local pool, and then get a referral to do the consolidation dives somewhere warmer, typically Egypt.

Yes, this is definitely the way to do it unless you want to make it more diffcult in dry suits; struggling to hover with ankle weights and random dry suit buoyancy, taking your mask off in water barely above freezing and trying to get it to seal again under a hood... assuming you can find drysuits that fit children properly (we didn't).

Do the basics in a pool and the open water stuff in a normal wetsuit somewhere warm with good visibility!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...