UKC

West Highland Way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Carpe Diem 24 Feb 2014
Hi, 3 of us are looking at doing the WHW in May. We are thinking about camping and and travelling light.We will treat ourselves to a B & B in fort Wiliam at the end, but I'm looking for general advise from those who have completed, especially those who camped it?
Clauso 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Walking along the east shore section of Loch Lomond seems as though it'll never end and is more knackering than you'd think.
Jim C 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> Hi, 3 of us are looking at doing the WHW in May. We are thinking about camping and and travelling light.We will treat ourselves to a B & B in fort Wiliam at the end, but I'm looking for general advise from those who have completed, especially those who camped it?

Too close to home to bother to do it, but , having covered most or all of it already I have , however, met many people at all the different stages over the years, and on balance , as many looked as if they were enjoying the camping experience, as there were those that were finding it a challenge.

I have also seen 'campers' who still got their tents and luxuries shuttled by car each day, which is fair enough, and worth considering.

( have fun whatever you do, and try and have a plan B and C)
However, some shuttlers' still carried large ( but mostly empty) sacks , with bits and bobs hanging off them I guess just for the benefit of their photos!

(So don't be fooled, all is not always what it seems
Post edited at 23:39
 jonnie3430 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

What Darren says, also there are pubs fairly close to campsites along the way. Use them if the weather is poor, if not, keep going!
 Jeromecooper 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Although the east coast of Loch Lomand may seem like a lifetime to walk I would suggest continuing to the hut. IT IS THERE!!!!!! I walked it a few years ago, camped about 300 feet away from it in the dark and cursed the fact in the morning. Not sure its on the map??? I cant check right now, maybe someone can enlighten me??????
 Jeromecooper 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Also I did it this time three years ago. A lot of snow, minus temps, oddly blue skies! Go for it!
 jonnie3430 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Try this as a warm up: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790287/
 TheseKnivesMan 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Repeating what others have said about the Loch Lomond Section...it is the worst part and seems to last forever. Also some bits are a little hairy with exposure! Haha. Try to budget your days so you clear that section in a day because it would be a miserable camp along the shore. Start day 2 in Balmaha and finish in Inverarnan or even Crianlarich if you're up to it.

Depending on the time of year just for goodness sake bring a midge net and repellant. You can do it comfortably in 5 days if you are relatively fit, 4 if you are very fit, less if you are extremely fit!

The most strenuous section is Conic Hill (most often on day 1) or the Devil's staircase but neither last long. BE prepared for the sheer amount of people you see on the route, especially in Summer, to ruin a bit of the "Wilderness" of it all.
 TheseKnivesMan 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

The WHW was my first foray into outdoorsy things with my friends back in 2009 as a way to start the Summer holidays from uni. We set off from Milngavie with old poorly fitting boots and white sport socks, lots of heavy tinned food, a full change of clothes for each day, and heavy cheapo tents and sleeping bags on our backs. My traps and shoulders were agony by the time I was 1 mile in, and by the time we reached Drymen that evening we had blisters the size of 50p pieces that would last us for the rest of the trip. The smell of our feet by the second night was gag-inducing. I lost my bank card somewhere near Kingshouse. By the time we reached Fort William on day 5 I had no skin on the top of any of my toes which made every step excruciating.

I don't regret a thing
 Alyson 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Camping the second night on the shore of Loch Lomond, we got so utterly, distractingly bitten by midges that we set off from the campsite at a canter having forgotten to fill our water bottles. That was May I think, so do be prepared for insect warfare - you'll be glad of some defences. We interspersed camping with bunkhouses which gave us chance to dry our kit out.
 Phil1919 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

By the way hostel /campsite is a good spot at Tyndrum. Hostel very comfortable and clean. Good sites for pitching a tent otherwise. You'd need to book in advance in season I would think. I always used to think Tyndrum was the pits driving through it, but the hostel showed me another side to it away from the road.
drmarten 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Consider using the baggage carrying service (a quick google suggests about £40-£50 for full walk) and consider the wigwams at Beinglas (top Loch Lomond) and Auchtertyre. I find May (crosses fingers for this year) to generally come up trumps weather wise in Scotland.
 climb.jlr 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Camped it over the first May holiday last year, five days. We didn't bring a lot of food, purchased lunch along the way and breakfast was either at a cafe or was oats. Dinner was always at a pub. We were going to stay in Fort Williams, but we had rubbish weather for the WHW, snow passing by Glencoe . Just wanted to get home. Hopefully you'll fair better.

Given the access laws one can camp about anywhere along the WHW, except east shores of Loch Lomond, everywhere else is fair game. Pre-booked at Sallochy Bay for £5/person (http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/visiting/sallochy-campsite/menu-id-335.... ), making it about a 24-25 mile day. Day two pissed on us, so wild camped about 5 miles outside of Inverarnan, where we'd had an early dinner and drinks. Day three wild camped by Inveroran, which is a nice B&B. Day for was Kinlochleven and camped at Blackwater, which was okay (no drying room, which until I did the WHW I didn't know these things even existed). Day 5 was a lovely walk in rain to finish. The new finish one has to walk through Fort Williams high street, which I find ridiculous.

Good luck!!
 climb.jlr 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Camped it over the first May holiday last year, five days. We didn't bring a lot of food, purchased lunch along the way and breakfast was either at a cafe or was oats. Dinner was always at a pub. We were going to stay in Fort Williams, but we had rubbish weather for the WHW, snow passing by Glencoe . Just wanted to get home. Hopefully you'll fair better.

Given the access laws one can camp about anywhere along the WHW, except east shores of Loch Lomond, everywhere else is fair game. Pre-booked at Sallochy Bay for £5/person (http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/visiting/sallochy-campsite/menu-id-335.... ), making it about a 24-25 mile day. Day two pissed on us, so wild camped about 5 miles outside of Inverarnan, where we'd had an early dinner and drinks. Day three wild camped by Inveroran, which is a nice B&B. Day for was Kinlochleven and camped at Blackwater, which was okay (no drying room, which until I did the WHW I didn't know these things even existed). Day 5 was a lovely walk in rain to finish. The new finish one has to walk through Fort Williams high street, which I find ridiculous.

Good luck!!
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Walked this a couple of years ago with a ten year old and his mum over five days, wild camping, always plenty of streams nearby, go very light, we carried a little food, super noodles are king, plenty of establishments for meals along the way, top tip make sure you have good socks and take compede. The boy was literaly jogging into Fort William at the end, we had a great adventure.
Post edited at 11:35
 franksnb 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I enjoyed the loch lomond section, actually i enjoyed all of it bar fort william town center. on the whole its an easy walk no need for epic days, but you could string two legs into one day if you wanted. my pal ran it in two days! I camped every night but one, we took a small light tent and a tarp for cooking under in the rain. we carried everything we needed inc. dried food stocked up on bananas and brioche where we could and sneaked a couple of fish suppers which was cheating really.

top tips
take a digging implement for when you are caught short
walking poles buy some
head net and smidge for kinlochleven midge apocalypse
keep the ruck sack under 8kg if you can
hat

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150241892370521&set=a.1015024...
In reply to Carpe Diem:

For the best experience I'd say camp it (wild wherever possible, maybe the odd campsite if it's convenient).

Carry your own bag (you're more flexible than with a bag carrying service and this is particularly needed if you're wild camping and stopping just wherever looks good). Go light, but only within reason. You'll need to plan ahead for where you can get supplies - there aren't that many shops en route so you may end up carrying a couple of days' worth of food at times. Pub dinners are a good idea.

Lightweight comfy footwear: big clumpy boots are a pain on the hard packed surface. Most of the WHW is hard and well drained underfoot.

Best sections: Conic hill, and along east shore of Loch Lomond (note wild camping is banned south of Rowardennan). Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse. Devil's Staircase to Kinlochleven. the first bit of the day from kinlochleven to Ft.william (2nd half is dull forestry). Some of the rest is a bit disappointing, in that you're near a busy road and hemmed in by fairly dull grassy mountainsides or forestry - just put your head down and get it over with, there's always a better bit round the corner. I'm really not sold on the first day from Milngavie to Drymen but it's a gentle countryside contrast to the mountains I suppose, and you do it for the sake of completeness... Be prepared for the finish to be a bit of a nothing; no offence to Ft.william but the WHW is more about the journey than the final destination.

Timing-wise, five days is reasonably ambitious, but realistic. You can do it in fewer or stretch it into more. I'd suggest adding a couple of days to the schedule in order to climb a hill or two. WHW goes low the whole way (OK over a couple of passes) so it really misses out on the best thing about the area, which is the mountains. There are plenty of cracking hills adjacent to the route. Ben Lomond, Ben Lui, Beinn Dorain, Stob Ghabhar, Buachaille Etive Mor, the Mamores and of course the best way to crown the walk is an ascent of Ben Nevis...

The Harvey Map to the West Highland Way is all you need for planning and the day to day walking, but of course it does not cover the surrounding land so if you're hoping to do detours up hills you'll need the appropriate OS sheet(s).

Route finding is not an issue. You don't need to consult the map at all to find the way - just look at it once in a while to place yourself
and work out how far to the next pub.

Guidebook not really necessary but it does help with planning and working out where to find facilities etc. The Pocket Mountains guide has all the main hill routes as well as the WHW description, so that makes it the best of the books. But I would say that, I wrote it.
 peebles boy 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Carpe Diem:

The campsite at Millarochy Bay has an indoor space which is useful if you're camping and it's pissing with rain. However, it also has a resident fox that will eat through tents in the middle of the night to get to food, so make sure you either triple bag it, or leave in the indoor space.

My girlfriend knows this from first hand experience, but as a result has a great claim to fame in having punched a fox in the face!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...