UKC

Garmin FR620

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 25 Feb 2014

Think I might get a GPS running watch thing and this looked good. Any other models you guys use that you can recommend? I use a Garmin Edge on my bike, so just looked at Garmin by default really to be honest :-P

Also looking at the FR220, on the basis that all I need is time & distance. That said I do love a gadget :-P
Post edited at 11:21
 Sparrowmonkey 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

I've a 620. Slightly better quality than past garmin devices (their build quality/reliability is pretty poor) but IMHO polar and suunto are better quality. I'd imagine 220 is similar build quality to 620.

Tbh if I weren't 'locked in' to Garmin, I'd probably go Polar v800 http://www.polarv800.com

And all you really want is HR and time. Distance, pace, maps, etc are a bonus.

Have a look at DCrainmaker http://www.dcrainmaker.com for extensive reviews.
In reply to Sparrowmonkey:

Ah cheers, I only really looked at Garmin as that's what I know.
Quite like the look of the Polar.
 andy 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Richard Carter: I have a 620, and have also tried Suunto (I have an Ambit2 Sapphire that I must get round to selling).

The Garmin's great as I can wear it as an everyday watch without looking like I've got a dinner plate on my arm. Garmin's a better runners' watch than the Ambit, as the Ambit is a bit clunky, partly because of all the extra functionality it has (compass, altimeter, navigation etc). Suunto also doesn't work directly with Strava.

+1 for DCRainmaker's site - really detailed reviews from a bloke who runs and bikes a lot - so knows how runners and cyclists use stuff. The Polar is too big for me, as I like to wear my watch every day - and I'm not sure the lack of ANT+ support is a great move, as lots of us have all sorts of ANT+ devices already.
Antigua 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Yup, can confirm that I too am another happy Garmin 620 user, even more so since I can now upload my runs and rides direct from the device to my Android Galaxy S4 right after I'ver saved the activity.

In all honesty despite the 620 being a great runners watch from what you say it going to be overkill by a pretty large margin. If all your looking for is time and distance then maybe an FR10?
 yorkshireman 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Sparrowmonkey:
> I've a 620. Slightly better quality than past garmin devices (their build quality/reliability is pretty poor)

I've been using a FR405 for the last 5 years - 300 runs (2500km) per year. Still going strong - I even went over the handlebars of my bike with it a few years back and gouged great chunks out it (and my arm and shoulders) on the tarmac but its still working just as well as the day I bought it.

I'm thinking of holding out for the Fenix 2 which is out shortly and should address a lot of the shortcomings on the current Fenix. I do a lot more trail/ultra/hiking so could be worth it as more of an all-rounder.

To the OP - the 620 is probably a bit overspecced and overpriced for what you say you need - maybe the 220 is a better option? The satellite caching and wifi uploads are two of the smartest new features I think - hanging around for a signal and finding your ANT USB stick are two of the biggest ballaches associated with GPS watches.
Post edited at 21:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...