UKC

Which Shop in Manchester area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Grey area 25 Feb 2014
Hi which shop would you all recommend forgetting a decent fit for trainers, I've decided it's time to bite the bullet and the only way I'll improve my CV fitness is running along with the cycling
 jester69 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Grey area:

There are loads of options along Deansgate. There is also a good, but small independant shop in the small arcade next to the Manchester Wheel. They have a treadmill for gait analysis so would suggest this being your first port of call....sorry but cant remember the name of the shop (they're on the top floor of the small shopping arcade though)

Pete
 galpinos 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Grey area:

Personally, I go to Running Bear in Alderley Edge.

http://www.runningbear.co.uk/

Their website is a bit rubbish, the shop and staff are not.
 The New NickB 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Grey area:

Personally not a fan of Up & Running. Sweatshop in the Arndale is better on range, staff and price. Their Hyde shop is even better.
 steveriley 25 Feb 2014
Running Bear are great, especially for offroad. Royles are worth a try too if you're out that way.
 RockAngel 25 Feb 2014
In reply to galpinos:

Looking for somewhere local to do a gait analysis as I run so running bear are quite near. Unfortunately, their website still has the Latin fill in as it wasn't finished for some reason. Their prices may be over my budget too, being in the expensive alderley edge
 galpinos 25 Feb 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

There prices are normal for any running shop, with budget models through to top of the range.
 Dauphin 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Grey area:

Len Tobutts (Running & Fitness) in Bolton.

D
OP Grey area 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Grey area:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, will probably give running bear a shot as I avoid Arndale if I can - tends to cost more in parking than what I'm buying.
In reply to RockAngel:

> Looking for somewhere local to do a gait analysis as I run so running bear are quite near.

Gait analysis is almost exclusively used for nothing other than to make you buy shoes from the shop. Chances are you might be lucky and get someone who knows what they are looking at in terms of biomechanics but these are slim and you are more than likely going to get some chump who's been told to tell you your are over/under pronating without actually knowing what they are talking about.

Find a shop with a good selection of shoes, try some on (on the treadmill ideally) and buy the ones that are most comfortable.

In reply to Grey area:

You can park in the Greenquarter (redbank area) for around £2. it's about 4 mins walk to arnddale from there.
 Neil Williams 27 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Though if you actually *are* overpronating, it might help. I bought a new pair of shoes as a result of that (because I thought I was) and they make a big difference to knee pain after running compared with normal not-very-supportive trainers, however bouncy.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yes, but an untrained shop assistant isn't necessarily the right person to diagnose these issues (if indeed they can diagnose overpronation).
 galpinos 27 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Running Bear isn't full of untrained shop assistants though. It's a small shop with a good selction of shoes run by commited runners who know their stuff.
In reply to galpinos:

I mean untrained in podiatry, not untrained in retail/running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...