UKC

acute mountain sickness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 25 Feb 2014
Hi,just wondered if anyone knows anything about this? I have been to the Pyrenees twice and noticed a faster heart rate at night were we stayed, around about 2500mtrs. Other than that I felt pretty good. Do you think it was ams or is it normal, I'm 51 but in good general health. Btw those were the only times I've been that high
thanks
 IceKing 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed UserBradleywigginscyclingshorts: it's normal to have an elevated HR while you are acclimatising.

Removed User 25 Feb 2014
In reply to IceKing:

Thanks Iceking, The first team I forgot all about it till I arrived at Sarradets refuge on the second trip. I'm planning to go to Morocco this year and was a bit concerned about keeling over in the Atlas mountains!!
thanks
 annieman 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed UserBradleywigginscyclingshorts:

Have a look here. https://www.thebmc.co.uk/uiaa-mountain-medicine-advice-sheets
 IceKing 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed UserBradleywigginscyclingshorts: to expand a bit, your body produces more red blood cells as you gain height so as to carry more oxygen around your blood when there is less in the atmosphere. That's basically what acclimatisation is. Whilst your body does that your heart will beat faster to compensate for the lower oxygen level. Once you have acclimatised to that level your HR should return to normal. Obviously you can't acclimatise forever to every new altitude, but you get the idea. You may or may not get AMS, you won't know until you try to acclimatise to new altitudes. Keeping hydrated helps a lot, getting dehydrated can be very bad. But an elevated HR On its own is not a sign of AMS, with other symptoms it may be.

Removed User 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed UserBradleywigginscyclingshorts:

thanks , I worry too much!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...