UKC

what drill for climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 6b-east 25 Feb 2014
just finished my leading intro at ratho,really keen to start climbing outdoors in the spring, anyone got any suggestions on what drill to buy?

i'm new to ukc so any suggestions would be much appreciated!
 Choss 25 Feb 2014
In reply to thephantombolter:

Hilti would be my Recommendation.
OP 6b-east 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

i've heard theyre quite expensive, its only for a local crag, nothing special.
 Choss 25 Feb 2014

> i've heard theyre quite expensive, its only for a local crag, nothing special.

Sure you can hire one for a weekend cheap enough with Spare batteries and all.
 Duncan Bourne 25 Feb 2014

strong smell of troll in here. Anyone got any goats?
 Mr Lopez 25 Feb 2014

Can't go wrong with one of these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-IN%2Bz0EbL.jpg
 FactorXXX 25 Feb 2014

I'd personally would look at getting a petrol one as battery ones run out too quickly.
 Hay 25 Feb 2014
I do hope your two posts are not related?

OP 6b-east 25 Feb 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

do petrol ones really exist?
OP 6b-east 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Hay:

what do you mean by this? im looking for local crags near Edinburgh to climb at if thats what your asking, any suggestions?

Better get busy before the Independence referendum. I heard the SNP like Norway so much they are going to appoint an official Trollhunter.
Donnie 25 Feb 2014

he important question isn't what drill, it's where to drill? I reckon ratho quarry would be a good and convenient place to start. It's a shity old quarry where no one climbs trad as well, so no one will really mind if you make a mess of the place
OP 6b-east 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Donnie:

i was thinking something further away, something more wild. rathos a bit close to home!
 martinph78 25 Feb 2014

Try this http://bit.ly/1ljUgNP

JDal 25 Feb 2014

> i was thinking something further away, something more wild. rathos a bit close to home!

Bowden Doors is a bit less urban, and it'd be much easier to drill than the volcanic shite in and around Edinburgh.
 JLS 25 Feb 2014
Any old drill that can make a hole in rock will do.

Much more important is the type of glue to use to hold the hangers in place.

I recommend the stuff branded "Bostik".

Never, N-E-V-E-R, never just stick the hangers on to the rock with Blu-tac.

This would be very dangerous. Although Blu-tac is sometimes used for trad placements it really isn't strong enough for sport.
Post edited at 22:22
 Hay 25 Feb 2014
Limestone is much easier to drill than dolerite. No much about but pm Robert D ... He'll see you right.

mwr72 25 Feb 2014

You need a decent 110v drill and a long lead to the transformer.
 Robert Durran 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Hay:
> Limestone is much easier to drill than dolerite. No much about but pm Robert D ... He'll see you right.

Indeed. Limekilns is long overdue for bolting and everyone knows that trad gear, especially cams, is dangerously unreliable anyway. Do everyone a favour and bolt the place to f***. I'm sure the landowner would be more than happy to sponsor a bolt fund.
Post edited at 23:47
Donnie 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:
Do i detect a hint of movement in Mr Durran's staunch anti-bolt position?Is this a first baby step towards diplomacy and, who knows, an historic trad-sport agreement? The treaty of Ratho! At very least, it must be time to start a new bolting-trad-routes-in-a-quarry-in-which-no-one-climbs type thread.
Post edited at 11:03
 nufkin 26 Feb 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> I heard the SNP like Norway so much they are going to appoint an official Trollhunter.

I feel this deserves applause
 butteredfrog 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Now that's a drill!
 Dave Garnett 26 Feb 2014
In reply to JDal:
> (In reply to thephantombolter)
>
> [...]
>
> Bowden Doors is a bit less urban, and it'd be much easier to drill than the volcanic shite in and around Edinburgh.

If it's for sandstone and especially gritstone a battery drill is fine, the rock is fairly soft. Get the right bit too, you'll ruin a gritstone bit by using it on something harder.
 JLS 26 Feb 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Why cut corners? You know the old addage - buy cheap, buy twice.

Go the whole hog and get one of these...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Uoprpjd41Cs/TWICM44tz5I/AAAAAAAAAW4/tFTGX1OVbro/s...
 crayefish 26 Feb 2014
In reply to 6b-east:

Drill? Just use dynamite!
 Hat Dude 26 Feb 2014
In reply to 6b-east:

As you're probably not allowed anything sharp.

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/product/52077
 CurlyStevo 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Indeed. Limekilns is long overdue for bolting and everyone knows that trad gear, especially cams, is dangerously unreliable anyway. Do everyone a favour and bolt the place to f***. I'm sure the landowner would be more than happy to sponsor a bolt fund.

Tongue in cheek? I've climbed a lot at limekilns love the place. Yes cams aren't reliable, but if you are any good at placing passive protection many of the climbs throughout the grades are well protected.
 butteredfrog 26 Feb 2014
In reply to JLS:

Haha, I see your boring machine and raise ya......!

http://xemnu.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/sandworm-and-rider.html

seaofdreams 26 Feb 2014
In reply to 6b-east:

When I first started paying for climbing by drilling I was using a Atlas Copco CS10 but it had limited power so I've now upgraded and gained a lot of experience with this

http://www.stenateknik.com/Pages/default.aspx

A bit heavy on fuel but a far better hole and works well in the cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...