UKC

Charlie Porter R.I.P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iain Peters 25 Feb 2014

Sadly, another climbing legend has gone. I never met Charlie, but was climbing in Tierra del Fuego when he kayaked through the Beagle Channel and around Cape Horn. My partner on that trip was another great character, now sadly also gone, Rowland Perriment who had just made an early British ascent of Charlie's Yosemite tour de force, Zodiac.

Patagonia and the Chilean channels became his spiritual home and wherever we went he was spoken of with awe and affection. He will be much missed.

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/charlie-porter-dies
Post edited at 22:33
 Ian Parsons 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Iain

I don't remember being aware of Rowland Perriment's passing - which is an omission on my part. He may well have done Zodiac, but I'm absolutely certain that he made the first British ascent of Tangerine Trip - another Porter route - in October 1980 with Dennis Carr.

Ian
OP Iain Peters 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Hi Ian,

You could well be right. Rowland met me in Miami around Christmas time for our trip to Chile after working the oil rigs in the US, and I remember him saying he'd done a Porter big wall. We were hoping to meet up with Charlie (one of Rowland's heroes) when we were down South, but it didn't work out.
Fauve Ferrier 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Top climber. His El Cap climbs are legendary, not to mention the first solo of the Cassin Ridge.
RIP Indeed.

His wiki entry for those who have never heard of him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Porter
 Ian Parsons 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Hi Iain

Was that Christmas 1980? (I've no idea of Porter's activities outside of Yosemite, apart from Asgard and Middle Triple Peak.)

That was the only time I ever met Rowland, but he struck me as one of those slightly understated under-the-radar all-rounders who could basically deal with whatever came his way. There's a vaguely amusing back-story to his ascent of The Trip which I'll probably tell at some point, but it's not really appropriate in this rather sad context; it doesn't actually involve Rowland, although a couple of your co-Southwesterners certainly feature.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...