UKC

Terrier's Tooth Rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob M 26 Feb 2014
It seems as if the first pitch of Terrier's Tooth at Chair Ladder has fallen victim to the recent storms.

I haven't been there recently, but I'm the logbook moderator and a couple of people have posted comments.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=218

A bit sad - I have many happy memories of teetering nervously up the little steps in the quartz vein in the days when it was only V Diff.

Anyone got any more details they can share?
In reply to Bob M:

Its a fantastic route! Will be a real loss if it has!
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

Seconded. The only VDiff that gave me brown trousers (pitch 1)
 Tom Last 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

It will have gone is Mr Bradbury reckons so, he knows the coast well.

Does make you wonder what else would have been lost. I've been mulling over what may have gone throughout the storms and to be honest Terrier's Tooth would have come pretty much bottom of the list, as I think it would have done in many people's mind.

Bit of a shame, a major loss.
 Skip 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Shocking Tom.

Well at least i got to do it. As Stu says, it's still climbable, but at a different grade.
 Tom Last 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Skip:

Yes, that's something at least Mike.

Hope you're all good mate?
 Al Evans 27 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I well remember my first aquaintance with TT, I was climbing with a girl who had followed me up things as hard as E2 and wanted to try a first lead. I suggested TT having never done it before 'but it's only V Diff, you'll walk it' She teetered her way up pitch one, gripped as anything, when I seconded the pitch and got to the belay, she slapped my face 'You bastard, that was not a good first lead'
 Iain Peters 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I had a somewhat similar experience Al, but unfortunately with a 6ft+ SAS guy I was instructing who informed me on how many different ways there were of killing someone.

I've often wondered how stable that whole face is above the roof of Diocese.
 Tom Last 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

> I've often wondered how stable that whole face is above the roof of Diocese.

That's the one that's been on my mind, all that hydraulic pressure being pumped into the Diocese roof crack. If it went, it'd be a disaster, losing two of Penwith's best routes at least.
 Mark Kemball 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob M:

I was talking to Stu about this yesterday. He reckons that it should still be possible to climb a different first pitch, but he was unable to get down to look at it properly as the sea was too rough.
 Skip 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob M:

"Chair Ladder:
The Classic Rock route Terriers Tooth has lost it's first pitch, meaning the belay ledge at the top of the first pitch has dissapeared and the first pitch has changed considerably to a smooth slab of rock, leaving what looks to be harder and more run out climbing."

From BMC https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-walking-winter-storms-rockfall-landslides
 Mick Ward 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob M:

> A bit sad - I have many happy memories of teetering nervously up the little steps in the quartz vein in the days when it was only V Diff.

Except it never was V Diff. It may have been given V Diff but that's a different matter.

Mick
 Fat Bumbly2 27 Feb 2014
Happy memories of the route (even getting sandblasted by hail near the summit) - that first pitch was something, fortunately it was someone else's lead. I expect we will hear of more changes to Pembroke and Cornwall as the weather improves and folk get on to the rock.

cragtyke 27 Feb 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...