UKC

Crap kit you wouldn't be without

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 26 Feb 2014
Yes I'm bored...

My nomination is my jetboil.

It's heavy, I've burnt the neoprene, the handles come off, the spark hasn't sparked for a long time, you have to buy the expensive little canisters, but it's my go to stove for convenience and pack ability.

I love it really.
 Choss 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:
My Force ten mk2 tent. Weighs a Flipping ton, has no room inside, but its totally weatherProof and Indestructible.
Post edited at 19:09
 Mr-Cowdrey 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

New investment for me, 2€ ski strap. Got it on the 2nd day of skiing and carrying skis never felt so easy!
 alooker 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

jetboil is a good one. The neoprene is just so easy to catch and the cup so easy to bend, but it still works well enough.

I wouldn't be without my gourdon 'sac, it's pretty battered and bruised, been repaired far too many times for nicks and holes but it just keeps going no matter how hard I try. I'm a little embarrassed to take it out in public when everyone seems to have a brand spanking new bag with all the fancy gizmos (pockets, a lid) but I love it! Best £20 odd quid I've spent in years.
 rogersavery 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

My wife
 Niall_H 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Mine is my windproof: the makers clearly have far larger ribs than me, so even in size small it's rather loose; and, the fact that it's a smock design, meaning the sleeves have to be quite wide to get one's arms into, combined with the loose fit gives me bingo-wings of fabric to blow and snap in the wind. Of course, it being a wind proof, I tend only to wear it when it's windy, so this is a common scenario. Despite that, I keep taking it with me, as it does the job and is so tough that I can't seem to wear it out.

I am, though, proud to say that I've never yet set fire to the neoprene on my Jetboil!
 scott titt 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Primark fleece, sat on a ledge in it one January night.
 RagingSphere 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I bought a cheap hi viz jacket years ago to cycle in but I've not cycled for about 5 years now and for some reason it's migrated into my walking bag.

Not quite sure why it's migrated but it's been everywhere I've walked for the last 5 years, it even moves bag to bag between summer and winter but I can't remember using in the hills ever.

The thing is I've carried it so long now I can't help but feel the day I don't carry it will be the day I need it...

Mark
 JJL 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Argon gloves
 jimjimjim 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I've a North face goretex jacket that is far from waterproof, covered in holes and well battered but still gets taken on trips because I cant face ruining the replacement.
 Steve Perry 26 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I bought a fake animal skin hat from Tesco for £7 three years ago and its been brilliant. Its really warm and really comfy under a climbing helmet in winter. They're about £30 in a regular outdoor shop.
 crayefish 27 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

A pair of bright yellow (what else would I wear?) o'neal ski trousers I got bought when I was 12... shredded to f*ck, seams splitting but worn them on every ski and mountaineering trip I have ever been on.

And yes... I was pretty much the same height at that age (6'4").
 kwoods 27 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

A rucksack I got when I was 12 and am still using ten years later... comfiest thing in the world but it's got a 30cm hold in the bottom, so I plug it with an old jacket..... hmm time for a new one?!
 GrahamD 27 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

£5 Asda Flask. Keeps stuff much warmer than expensive flasks.
Old Coke bottle (OK this gets recycled now and again) which is a much lighter and compact way of carrying water than ridiculously over priced and over marketed Nalgene bottles, which seem to have taken over from over priced and over marketed Sig bottles.
My MEC Nylon faced fleece - warm and windproof and still going after 18 years of use.
 Sharp 27 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

A spork, the fork is kind of poor but lets face it those guys know how to shape a spoon. Perfect and the plastic doesn't pick up odours, same with their bowls and plates.
 The New NickB 27 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

A lot of people seem to be confusing the word crap with cheap.
 RichardP 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

> My Force ten mk2 tent. Weighs a Flipping ton, has no room inside, but its totally weatherProof and Indestructible.

I've got the Mk 3 but totally agree

I've got the not so lightweight orange cotton fly which flysheet do you have?
 Choss 28 Feb 2014
In reply to RichardP:

> I've got the Mk 3 but totally agree

> I've got the not so lightweight orange cotton fly which flysheet do you have?

Ive got one up on you there weightwise, nylon fly

1poundSOCKS 28 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB: or confusing crap with good.

edunn 28 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:
My gators. They are shredded to bits, held together with duct tape, zip ties and my mum's sowing, but I can't face paying £60 for a new pair just to put as many holes in them.
Post edited at 13:56
 Carolyn 28 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Lifeventure vacuum cup. The lid doesn't always do up well and has been known to pop off, at other times it seal on so tight I can can barely get it off to drink. And it doesn't keep coffee nearly as warm as a proper flask. And the pretty red colour has more than half flaked off.

But it's used almost every day, out with the kids, at work, as well as on the hill.
 girlymonkey 28 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

My patched up waterproof trousers,that are no longer waterproof. I put them over newer waterproof trousers for things like ice axe arrest practice, or running kids squeazeling sessions etc so as to protect the better trousers.
In reply to jezb1:

My (broken) Silva Expediton 4 compass.
Given to me by my dad, I have had about 15 years and it was great. Until it reversed polarity on Helvellyn. Fortunately I knew where I was so wasnt an issue. Silva fixed it, but it did it again. I got a new compass. But i cannot bear to throw out the old one, it sits on my shelf gathering dust and reminding me of fun times!!!
 Oceanrower 28 Feb 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

> My patched up waterproof trousers,that are no longer waterproof. I put them over newer waterproof trousers for things like ice axe arrest practice, or running kids squeazeling sessions etc so as to protect the better trousers.

Ok. You've got me there. What is "squeazeling"?
 Wingnut 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Wriggling through holes. Combination of "squeezing" and "weaseling".
 Jim Walton 28 Feb 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I have a pair of rubbish gaiters where the zip is a little suspect, they are battered and held together with seam grip. Just can't be parted from them...
In reply to jezb1:

PEtzl Spatha Rope knife. It's only ever been used to cut salami/chorizo and cheese. Absolutely indispensable.
 Timmd 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Wingnut:

> Wriggling through holes. Combination of "squeezing" and "weaseling".

I guessed that! ...I'm very pleased. ()
SethChili 01 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

My boots . Karrimor KSB munro . Cost £60 4 years ago . Nubuck outer , eVent lining .
I have tried everything in my power to destroy them and failed -scrambling , digging on the allotment , night exercises with the air cadets , repeated abuse in the bogs of the dark peak and lots of use with microspikes in the winter .
. They really are crap - they leak badly , don't have much stiffness for winter use and are a lot lower on the ankle than I would usually go for .
But here is the thing :The fit like a glove . Never has a boot been so comfortable .
 Timmd 01 Mar 2014
In reply to kwoods:

> A rucksack I got when I was 12 and am still using ten years later... comfiest thing in the world but it's got a 30cm hold in the bottom, so I plug it with an old jacket..... hmm time for a new one?!

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/rucksack_repairs.htm

I'm thinking of getting my 'old faithful' rucksack fixed by these people.
 jt232 01 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

a hideous, floral, 1980's style head band I found in a piss case in Pembroke. I started wearing it as a statement, but it keeps my ears so warm and fits under a helmet like you don't know it's there, I won't go outdoors with out it
 SteveoS 01 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

My car! It's a sh*t heap that will go and go even with water circulating through every pipe.
 lithos 01 Mar 2014
In reply to jt232:

wtf is a piss case ?
 SFM 01 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

A scabby Ikea sheepskin rug.

I lay it out on my Thermarest in cold nights, put it on my camping chair whilst sitting staring at the fire/BBQ, lie staring at the stars on it. It looks manky but it's warm and functional.

kwoods 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks for the link. Will consider.
 David Alcock 02 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

This will sound sad, cos it is. My 85 Taunton Leisure goretex - no shoulder seams and still works. A few Karrimor rucksacs from 78, 82 and 86. A Kaipack transverse tent. And my ballbag, 71.

I think that kit might outlast me. Apart from the ballbag.
 Denzil 02 Mar 2014
In reply to jt232:

> a hideous, floral, 1980's style head band I found in a piss case in Pembroke. I started wearing it as a statement, but it keeps my ears so warm and fits under a helmet like you don't know it's there, I won't go outdoors with out it

I'll second that - mine survived being left in the pub car park for two days and run over by a few cars, but was so delighted to find it again! Recently replaced by a bright yellow Ron Hill headband, but I still have the original.....
 jt232 02 Mar 2014
In reply to lithos:

> wtf is a piss case ?

A discrete cave that everyone uses to piss, the head band was on a rock out of the way though so it didn't have any piss on it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...