UKC

Annapurna Trek - what kit to take?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy S 27 Feb 2014
So me and a mate are going to trek to Annapurna base camp and I'm interested to hear from anyone who's done it, so they can advise on what kit to take.

We don't want to use a guide, because we've heard it's completely unnecessary?

We're both outdoor instructors by profession (ML Summers), so we're not new to walking, but we don't know what kind of temperatures we'll be dealing with and what the score is with accommodation along the way etc etc.

We're flying into Kathmandhu on Tuesday.

Cheers!
 The Ivanator 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S:

There is plenty of online information on this. Annapurna base camp is at over 4000m so nights will be cold (well below zero)- it is quite early in the spring to do the trek so snow/avalanches may be a problem, there are some vulnerable sections on the route into the Sanctuary. At this time of year crampons and a walking axe might be useful, lodges (tea houses) are available all the way although not sure if they will be fully open for spring yet - suspect that they would want the business and put you up though. Lodge staff will be able to give you updates on the condition of the route ahead.
Hot Springs at Chommrong (at the entrance to the sanctuary) are worthwhile if they are open and have been restored after the winter.
 Darron 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S:

A warm sleeping bag!
 IceKing 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S: all the lodges will be open. It can be pretty wet up the Sanctuary valley in spring so take a poncho to chuck over you and your pack. You don't need any food, just clothes and a sleeping bag. Layering is fine, it's only cold the last couple of nights. During the day it's normally tee shirt weather and maybe a windproof. Down jacket is nice but not necessary for those altitudes. Feb, March and the avalanche risk is quite high. Ask locally and leave early in the morning on the last stage to ABC, the valley there is very avalanche prone.

GDes 27 Feb 2014
We did this pretty much this time last year, and did the whole thing in approach shoes (including the annapurna circuit over the Thorung La. I wouldnt necesarily recomend doing the same, but I don't think an axe and crampons would be needed. A walking pole should suffice.

A warm sleeping bag and down jacket is essential. Thats it really. if you have time, I would definitely recomend doing the section over the Thorung La pass. Compeltely different to the area up to ABC.

The Ivanator 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S:

On the doing it independently vs. using guides/porters it is worth bearing in mind that although the trek is not difficult to navigate having local staff can add a great deal to the experience as well as helping the individuals you use financially.
Lots of things that you might pass by get pointed out and explained, you can enjoy the walking without a heavy load, it helps establish links at lodges, you get deeper into the local culture which is fascinating.
Our guide spoke at length about the caste system, religion, local history, flora and fauna, nepali food and celebrations to name just a few.
 Kassius 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S:

I did Everest BC and kala pattha had Nepal gtx , rab summit jacket , salopettes , trekking trousers with zip off shorts , quick dry t shirts , waterproofs, head torch , 4 season sleeping bag a highland one off eBay for £40 and running gloves. On the Sherpa note no there not needed whatsoever and if I go again I won't be having one.
 wilkesley 27 Feb 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:
I did it in November 1982. At that time there were no tea houses beyond the last village, which was 1-2 days from the Sanctuary. I am sure that has changed now though. Temperatures weren't too cold until we got into the Sanctuary, when it was Baltic at night time. When we went ice axes and crampons were definitely not required.

If you have time it's well worth doing the circuit over Thorong La. However, make sure you take it slowly and acclimatize properly.

At the time I was an impoverished student and we carried all our own stuff. If I did it again I would definitely hire a porter. In terms of finding the way you shouldn't need a guide.
Post edited at 16:04
OP Andy S 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S:

Thanks for the all the superb replies.

Does anyone have experience of leaving valuables in Pokhara?

I'd like to leave a £600 laptop somewhere. How would you feel about that?
 dogfish 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy S:

Went to the sanctuary is about the same time of year in 2009.
Took a down sleeping bag, down jacket, waterproofs, toothbrush, camera , change of underwear ,first aid kit and not much else. All into a 28L pack. Also a pair of locally purchased trekking poles which I gave away when returning and near road head. Local porter carrying massive double load looked like he would make more use of them than me.I was heading back to Katmandu for Maha Shivaratri at Pashupatinath temple for a few chillums with the Baba's.
Got a local map and took a photocopy of relevant pages from lonely planet trekking guide to Nepal.
Didn't take ice axe or crampons or use local guide although I have used guides at other times and found the experience rewarding.
Check out the local festivals and try to schedule one in as they are unforgettable experiences .
Do a search on these.
March Maha Shivaratri at Pashupatinath and Holi.
The hot springs were spot on.
Not sure how long your there for.
Have a great trip.
OP Andy S 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Andy S:

Thanks all. For anyone looking at this for tips themselves, I've done the Annapurna Base Camp trek now. Did early to mid-March. It's a good time to trek in Annapurna Sanctuary (this name refers to the whole area, which is very big), because there are less people. A good number of people - more than enough to be sociable, but not so many to be annoying or fill-up the accommodations.

My preferred kit list is a 2 season sleeping bag, a down jacket, a pair of poles, iodine tablets, approach shoes (but I prefer boots for the ankle support) and enough cash to see you through the trek.

Other tips:
- you can buy great down jackets at a shop called 'Shona's' in Thamel, Kathmandhu, for about £35. They're great quality (down imported from Australia). Amazing value,

- You can hire sleeping bags in Pokhara for 80 rupees a day (48p),

- You can buy knock-off boots in Kathmandhu, or use the genuine North Face shop in Thamel,

- If you want to buy waterproofs, I recommend buying knock-offs from Shona's. They're good enough for what you need them for,

- You can buy decent poles in Kathmandhu or Pokhara,

- Expect to spend maximum £15 a day on food and accommodation whilst trekking (but will usually be less),

- During the day you'll usually wear shorts and t-shirt, even at 4000m. Use your down jacket in the evening and when you set off in the morning. However, I highly recommend having a long-sleeved merino wool base-layer (more of a winter base layer really) for the mornings and evenings. If you also have a warm hat, you don't need to take a fleece with you (mine never got used).

- Take zinc oxide tape to cover-up hot-spots before they turn into blisters,

- Petroleum Jelly lip-balm almost essential. Makes a huge difference. You can buy this is Kathmandhu, Pokhara, and even in the little shops on the trekking route sometimes,

- I still haven't heard of super-secure storage facilities anywhere in Pokhara or Kathmandhu. However, I can recommend Alobar 1000's storage facility in Kathmandhu - it's communal storage but it's well-guarded and they use a proper tagging system (your tag has to match to get your bag back). In Pokhara, for us it was a case of finding guesthouse owners we felt we could trust with our £600 laptops. After talking to them, I really felt I could trust them and had no reservations. Obviously a proper secure storage locker would be better, but they just don't exist in Pokhara. Use your own judgement! Another option is to pay for a room in Pokhara and secure it with your own padlock while you're away trekking. That's pretty secure.

Well that probably covers most things. Hope that's useful for any info-seekers out there.

Final tip - take your time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...