UKC

John Downey (IRA) goes free

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 27 Feb 2014
Does this prove that the allegations are untrue, or that peace is worth allowing a few 'guilty' men to go free, or simply that justice simply does not exist?

I know which said answer I tend to side with.
 elsewhere 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
The peace deal is like a sausage - it's good but better not to know what went into it.
OP Blizzard 27 Feb 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

Hmm... but is there really peace in Northern Ireland? My understanding is that 'stuff' still goes on.
Jim C 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

> Does this prove that the allegations are untrue, or that peace is worth allowing a few 'guilty' men to go free, or simply that justice simply does not exist?

> I know which said answer I tend to side with.

I have no truck with terrorists, but I think I heard Peter a Hain say that it was not just on one side that got letters saying they would not be pursued by the law.

The exact words are not in print, but I found this quote that alludes to a deal for others too. UDA/UFF? , maybe even some RUC!

Peter Hain , writing in the Guardian on Wednesday, he criticised what he called

"loose talk of 'deceitful deals' by Tony Blair's government" and said the OTRs deal was necessary for peace

, "just as it was necessary to do 'side deals' with Ian Paisley's DUP, which I also did."

So It was not just the IRA that got immunity to prosecution, but that is what seems to be the story.

People can be outraged, but be sure they know what the real story is.

elsewhere 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
It's a far better peace than I ever expected.
Post edited at 19:08
OP Blizzard 27 Feb 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

When did you visit?

What is the real story? Do we now have it?
 elsewhere 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
> When did you visit?
Never, I'm just a news geek who grew up with it.

>What is the real story?
Depends who you ask

>Do we now have it?
Very roughly.

Timmd 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
> Hmm... but is there really peace in Northern Ireland? My understanding is that 'stuff' still goes on.

'Stuff' does still go on, but I suppose it's relatively recently that the Peace Process took place.

From what I've absorbed from the news over the years, there probably isn't any side or group which is squeaky clean I think, sometime before or after Christmas I heard on the news about it being investigated that a police station in southern Ireland was giving tip offs to the IRA.

If I'd lost relatives or had them injured, or been injured myself, I'm in no doubt that I'd not be wanting to rest until I had an answer and justice too, but to me it seems uncomfortably like whether it's the Unionists, or the police in Southern or Northern Ireland, or the IRA or British intelligence operating in Ireland, or British troops, there was immorality and dark things which took place through the actions of all groups, due to the chaotic nature of the times (when things get chaotic in other countries, killing and crime seems to increase in those places). Which for the sake of creating some kind of peace, perhaps a line needs to be drawn under the past so that people can concentrate on finding common ground with the aim of maintaining a state of peace, even with there being fringe groups still active and wanting things to go back to a pre Peace Process state.

I'm not comfortable with the thought that there are people who will die not having found justice and closure in their lives, though.
Post edited at 20:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...