UKC

Live temperature data from Cwm Idwal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 27 Feb 2014
The BMC have launched a new service, the Cwm Idwal winter climbing information project, that aims to provide data for climbers to help gauge conditions. It offers temperature readouts of ground, turf and air temperatures. Looks pretty climber-friendly.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/idwal

Any views? Another tool in the belt of the modern climber, or an erosion of the inherent adventure in the winter game? Do you think such services will spread to other areas?

Personally I can't quite make my mind. I've written a blog post pondering the question here, and asking about where this might lead in future:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2014/02/winter-climbing-live-conditions-informati...
 Pay Attention 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

For me this information could save a wasted weekend, a multi-hour round trip to Wales. It therefore informs my choice of what to do with my time. It does not reduce the level of adventure involved in the Route, once I start climbing.

Can't see why you'd want to avoid using useful information. But, if you did, in order to return to a pure form of adventure you'd need to:
1. Stop using this site in case you inadvertently get "beta".
2. Throw away any guidebooks (apart from those by O G Jones and the Abraham bros).
3. Revert to hemp rope, hobnail boots, no runners, no harness when climbing.
4. Post your reflected experiences on here.
 str1nger 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Was looking for this info for a while, I read about it in a Climb magazine issue, but thought it was not going ahead because of the crappy winter weather.

I believe these tools are a good use for forward planning and should not discourage people climbing, only help them decide which routes are safer or more in knick.

OP Only a hill 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Pay attention:

On balance I agree. I think it's interesting looking at our changing ideas regarding what constitutes genuine adventure vs. the need for modern, high quality information.
 Climbingspike 28 Feb 2014
No, it's not a good thing. Trying to use technology to save plants! People will think that it will save them a trip because it's not cold enough where this device is placed. Should it not be up to the individual to realise when it's cold enough? The weather forecast and no end of threads on conditions should be plenty. This reminds me of the poles they stuck on the Ben. Before we know it the mountains would be covered in safety tech. It seems nowadays if you haven't got a ticket to tell you that you can tie a knot, you are not competent to climb. There is another thread on the go, "Was climbing better in the past compared to today". As things keep going, what with tech, certificates, and guiding, IMO it most certainly was.

SteveoS 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Pay attention:

I agree, long old drive from London! Good for university clubs taking novices all the way to Wales. Had one year where some very slippy ice stopped us all going past 650m! Snowfight and survival bag sledging ensued.
 jezb1 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Easy enough not to look if you don't want to know.

Although I've no idea why you wouldn't.
 marzi 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

So how do we interpret the information? I guess it must be frozen at 15cm before we can start hacking picks and crampons in?
 James Thacker 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Waste of time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...