UKC

Latest Snowden revelations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Hughes 28 Feb 2014
GCHQ has been harvesting webcam images from people's Yahoo accounts. Wow.

About 7per cent of the images contained "undesirable nudity" - which makes me wonder how many contained desirable nudity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-interne...
 felt 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

With his considerable capability, do you think the guy knows he's called Mount Snowden on here? Does this have any bearing on the latest revelations?
 Mike Stretford 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes: Yeah, I wasn't surprised by most of the initial leaks but was by this.

Apparently they found it surprising that people use webchats to get it on....fairly predictable if you ask me, and pretty useful if you don't see your partner for a while.

woolsack 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

And of course they'd never use any of that 'evidence' against you would they should the 'need' arise?

Nothing's changed, they were blackmailing in the same fashion in the 50's and 60's with whatever compromising filth they could dig up by whatever means

And all to protect our freedoms blah blah

How did that M15 man end up in the sports bag again?
 jkarran 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Papillon:

> Yeah, I wasn't surprised by most of the initial leaks but was by this.

It's not that surprising is it? We live in a surveillance organisation's wet dream with networked microphones and camera's in pretty much every room and pocket imaginable.

I just wonder how long it'll take for Snowden to get to the mobile phones then how long it'll take us to shrug it off as a one of those things we accept in exchange for free Angry Birds* and the ability to send pictures of our genitals on a whim

* Not suggesting this is malware

jk
OP Bob Hughes 28 Feb 2014
In reply to jkarran:

> It's not that surprising is it? We live in a surveillance organisation's wet dream with networked microphones and camera's in pretty much every room and pocket imaginable.

It's not surprising that the can do it but I have to admit to being surprised that they did do it. I suppose I had a lingering naivite (sp? - I think that needs an accent somewhere) that someone in the organisation might have put a leesh on the more enthusiastic voyeurs at GCHQ. As you say, we live in a world in which it is very easy to spy on people, and that should require a review of the checks we put on surveillance organisations. But until now that hasn't happened. When the first batch of Snowden revelations came out I was a bit "meh" about it, but this latest one convinces me that he has done a very good thing.
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Thank christ me and the wife both live in Aus these days. In our courting days, her here, me in Conrwall...work it out yourselves....
Jim C 28 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Thank christ me and the wife both live in Aus these days. In our courting days, her here, me in Conrwall...work it out yourselves....

Fax?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...