UKC

Which small tablet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 28 Feb 2014
I need some advice on small tablets as I don't have much clue about tablets.

It needs to run on android and have 3G capability as I'm planning on using it cycle touring.

Also if anyone has any advice on data only sims in Norway and Sweden that would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions
 Toby_W 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Fes up with some details of your trip then. I've skied from Lom across the Jotunheimen as well as spending a lot of time in various bits of Norway and I'd love to go cycle touring round there.

The nexus ones get very good press and the hudl (?) from Tesco is last years nexus I think and very good for the money.

People who know more than me will add I'm sure.

Cheers and good luck.

Toby
OP Andrew W 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

Planning on heading from southern Sweden to Nordkapp through June and possibly back down through Norway.

I was looking at the nexus 7 as they seem well reviewed and not too expensive.
 iskra2000 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

The Tesco hudl does not have in-built 3G. Has Wi-fi, bluetooth and can be linked to a phone.
 kamala 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I have a Nexus 7 with 3G, which does everything I want it to and worked happily with a Telenor SIM card.

Got the SIM card at the shop in Oslo Airport - 7 days of data for 200 NOK (I think - can't remember exactly but it seemed reasonable to me). Apparently the days aren't counted consecutively, you only use one up on a day when you actually access the internet.
The card could in theory be topped up online or by buying vouchers, but the Telenor website hated my credit card and I couldn't find anywhere to buy vouchers in Sjusjoen. I didn't look that hard as we were only there for eight days - and the card seemed to work right up till we left.

I've no experience with tablets or smartphones so it was a pleasant surprise that everything (except the credit card) worked so smoothly.
 Little Brew 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Nexus seems to be a hit with most of my friends - Groupon have an offer on it at the moment too.
In reply to Andrew W:

The Cambridge Sciences Starpad from Amazon is worth consideration. They are pretty rugged, yet cheap. They are also one of the few tablets to have a full sized USB port that allows you to connect directly to a portable hard drive!

I've had the non 3g 7" model for about a year now and it's been great. It even survived being baked inside the car when the outside temperatures were in the upper 30's. I'd left it charging overnight and forgot to take it out first thing in the morning. Lord knows how hot it was inside the car at midday!

3G might have been handy when I was on holiday last summer for checking my location and route - however I had that facility on my phone and it was only any good if there was a cellphone signal available - which was not always the case in British Columbia once you got away from cities or the major highways!
 TMM 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

If you end up with a Nexus 7 I thoroughly recommend spending £10-£12 on a Bluetooth keyboard that also doubles up as a hardcase screen protector. For the price of a shoddy case you get a cracking little keyboard that doubles as a stand and it works brilliantly as a case. Have a look on eBay.
Clauso 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Little Brew:

> Nexus seems to be a hit with most of my friends - Groupon have an offer on it at the moment too.

It should be noted that the Groupon offer seems to relate to the 1st generation device, rather than the improved 2nd generation one.
 Fraser 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I read a review recently - I think on Flipboard - and the result of the comparison test was the Nexus 7 as winner. Bottom of the pile was the 7" iPad, which apparently has a very poor colour gamut.
 Little Brew 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Clauso:

ar - sorry, just spotted the offer in my inbox today.
In reply to Toby_W:

> and the hudl (?) from Tesco is last years nexus I think and very good for the money.

If it's an old Nexus, it's a Nexus with an added microSD card slot...

And, whilst I find it good, it doesn't have any mobile phone function, 3G or otherwise.
OP Andrew W 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

The nexus 7 looks good and seems to be popular but quite expensive when you add 3G especially compared to the Cambridge sciences one.
 FrankBooth 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I use a Nexus 32G and think it's great - fast, high resolution and uses excellent version of Android. I use my phone as a hotspot so I don't have 3G, but I'd imagine it would work well if the rst of the build is anything to go by. With four teenage kids, we've inevitably got a stack of desktops/tablets/smartphones at home, which puts a lot of strain on the wi-fi (on the tablet side alone we've got an ipad mini, iPad2, Kindle HD and a Hudl) and I would say that the Nexus probably performs the best of the lot (the Hudl and Kindle often drop the wifi signal when the range is extended).
 sleavesley 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Little Brew:

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/gg-photodirect-52/34990121 seems a good deal for 32gb and 4G £159
OP Andrew W 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I've been trying to work out what extras are worth it, I'm planning on getting a keyboard and a case and wandering if there is anything else that is worth buying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...