UKC

Ski taster session Chill Factor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 28 Feb 2014
Is this the best way for me to get into skiing?

I have been skiing only once on a dry ski alope and really want to get into skiing a lot more after relocating to the Lake District.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Ad
Tim Chappell 28 Feb 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Glenshee is only three hours away...
 Edradour 28 Feb 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

IMO (as a ski instructor), no. Book a ski holiday with lessons. It is so much better and very different. Indoor ski slopes are ok, at a push, for a couple of hours of fun if you know how to ski/board but to learn in one would be incredibly frustrating, it'll be cold and crowded and nothing like the real thing.

OP AdCo82 28 Feb 2014
Thank you both for your replies. Do places like Glenshee do lessons?

I was thinking about the CF one off course so I could simply get on a pair of ski's. It is £30 for 50 mins.

I would just go once then get out on the real stuff.

Thanks again.
 andy 28 Feb 2014
In reply to AdCo82:
My kids did 4 one hour lessons to learn how to turn, stop and use a poma. They then had a couple of hours practice then went straight onto blue runs and saved a lot of wasted time in their lessons when we got abroad. I think it was a great thing to do for them.
In reply to andy:

I think indoor lessons save time and are a good investment. I had 4 lessons at the Chill Factore then went to France, was fine on the Blues, and even a few Reds with no more lessons... but if I'd gone out without having the lessons I'd only be skiing at the end of the week.
In reply to AdCo82:

The 50 min lesson at the CF is rubbish, do a few more and you'll save time and have more fun on holiday
Tim Chappell 28 Feb 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

> Do places like Glenshee do lessons?

They certainly do:

http://snowpursuits.co.uk/ski-scotland/glenshee-ski-centre/glenshee-ski-cen...
 krikoman 03 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Go to Poland for a week and hire an instructor, cheaper better and faster way to learn.

You might have to wait for some snow though this year was rather thin
 gav 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> Glenshee is only three hours away...

...from a lot of places, of which Ambleside is definitely not one. Unless you're exceeding speed limits by a considerable margin.
Post edited at 10:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...