UKC

how can i hibernate a toad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 01 Mar 2014
Just uncovered a wee toad this morning while I was repairing some steps in the garden. It kind of woke up and shifted about a bit then stopped so I put it behind the shed under some leaves but it's not moved and it still seems quite exposed.

Any toad experts have suggestions as to what's best to do to help it?
 Dave Garnett 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

If I accidentally uncover hibernating newts or toads that are completely inactive and I can't leave them where they are for some reason I put them with some dead leaves or some straw in something like an old flowerpot and then put them somewhere sheltered where they won't get flooded. If they are at all active, putting them into the bottom of a drystone wall or a log pile allows them to find their own place (they tend to want the smallest place they can squeeze into, to avoid predators).
OP Sharp 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Cheers, I think he's ok now. He burrowed into a pile of sand so hopefully that'll see him for the rest of the winter.
 toad 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Oh, hello?

He'll be out and about anytime now - I've already seen (frog) spawn in one pond in Nottm, so he's probably ready for the off anyway. I've come across them apparently dead in thick clay a foot or two down, and they've gradually inflated and wandered off, so I'm sure yours will be fine.

Give him my regards, and apologise for me not phoning before- you know how it is with family
 brokenbanjo 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Put it in the fridge if you are really worried. If not do as Toad says.
FrogOnTheTyne 02 Mar 2014
In reply to toad:

C'mon, you know you guys don't like gettin out of bed before half past May (what you doing out of bed anyhow?)

http://tinyurl.com/paqnh6h

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...