UKC

Plusnet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 01 Mar 2014
Is this a good internet system?
 Gav Parker 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I've had no issues....been using them for 12 months now.
 Fredt 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Yes.
 Tall Clare 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I've been using them for around eight years with no issues or complaints.
Clauso 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Yeah. They're good. I've been with them for 6 years.
 Cog 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

They sort out problems when you phone them, tiscali just tell you there is nothing wrong.
 lithos 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

get this....

....they phoned me back about a fault i had. I almost died of shock!

Was with talk talk before and their service /support is shite.

Plusnet are based in Yorkshire and despite not having the cheapest deals i have no complaints at all.
 Chris the Tall 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I've been using them for around eight years with no issues or complaints.

Likewise, but just that little bit longer
 Enty 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Gav Parker:

> I've had no issues....been using them for 12 months now.

Ive had no issues....been using them for 12 years now.

E
 gethin_allen 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

My parents pay for the minimum service possible and get speeds around 18 Mbit and haven't ever needed to call customer services. I wish I could change to them but I'm stuck with virgin where I pay a hefty bill for a fast but chronically temperamental service.
In reply to Blizzard:

Plusnet is owned by BT. Which is odd, since they seem quite a bit cheaper than BT... Horizontal market differentiation?
 mattrm 02 Mar 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Plusnet is owned by BT. Which is odd, since they seem quite a bit cheaper than BT... Horizontal market differentiation?

It's not at all odd if you understand how BT works. As an ISP you buy your lines from BT Wholesale, they have to give everyone (including BT Group companies, which Plusnet is part of (as is BT Retail)) the same price. Obviously if as an ISP you buy in bulk you could probably negotiate a discount. I suspect Plusnet are cheaper because their overheads are cheaper than BT Retails.

When you get broadband from 'BT' you're buying it from BT Retail (which iirc has a 'Consumer' and a 'Business' arm now as well).

Due to monopoly issues BT Group is a very segregated organisation.

It's well known in ISP circles that BT are often the expensive option for connectivity.

In reply to mattrm:

We've just transferred from BT to Plusnet due to BT being THE worst compnay to deal with when it comes to getting faults sorted. We've just had 2 months of intermittent connection.
Hopefully Plusnet will not suffer from the same poor customer relations we've experienced for the past 2 months trying to speak to the correct department.
 hang_about 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Used Plusnet for ages (and also for my elderly mother). Some issues a few years ago with erratic connections which was always a line problem but took a while to sort out. Few problems recently and those have been sorted very efficiently on the phone. Recommended.
 ark05 02 Mar 2014

also moved from bt to plusnet.. a few years ago.

customer service with BT is terrible when you have an issue.. you just get someone in india telling you to reboot your router even though you have tried that and told them... then they pass you onto someone else who tells you the same.

plusnet actually listen to what you are saying rather than following what is written down and deal with the problem much quicker.
Post edited at 12:46
 bradholmes 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard: Switched to Plusnet a couple of months ago after experiencing Sky's laughable version of customer service. Faster speed, by quite a bit and within a week Plusnet had resolved a line issue that Sky refused to acknowledge. Nothing but flawless service so far, they were even nice enough not to cut my broadband when I'd buggered up the direct debit and missed a payment by a month. No penalties or anything, just "Oh no problem, just make the payment by re-instating the direct debit and all's well." Top notch.
 Offwidth 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

In-laws use them based on stated good customer service ideal for non-computer experts which so far seems very good: including fixing a problem on Xmas day. In contrast my experience of BT was very mixed.
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Plusnet is owned by BT. Which is odd, since they seem quite a bit cheaper than BT... Horizontal market differentiation?

When we had the fibre connection upgraded a few years ago with PlusNet, the guy who came round was in a BT van and the box he fitted has BT OpenReach on it. It is a little confusing and I regularly get BT ringing up offering me deals for something which is kind of their product anyway.

PlusNet do have good reliability though and customer service engineers that talk at your level.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

BT Openreach are a separate company to the other arms of BT. When our phone went off for the 5/6th time in the last two months we rang BT for an engineer to come out and they said it would be at least a week. Our neighbour who's with Talk Talk rang on the same day and they got an (Openreach) Engineer the day after.
Removed User 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Plusnet is an umbrella of BT and uses the same bad policies as BT - such as releasing user data without court orders.
 Mikkel 03 Mar 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

fast but chronically temperamental service.

That is Virgin in a Nutshell.

But for most internet suppliers, where you live is what really makes the big difference in my experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...