UKC

mountaineering trip in the southern french alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eliza 01 Mar 2014
Undiscovered Alps are running an introductory mountaineering trip in june to the ecrin national park in the southern french alps. The trip includes three ascents and the full itinerary sounds great, see link below:

http://www.undiscoveredalps.com/holidays/mountaineering-week-in-the-ecrins-...

As this is the first mountaineering trip I've done, Id appreciate advice on whether this looks like a good option???
altirando 02 Mar 2014
In reply to EllieEP:
This company is owned by a British woman with a French guide husband who would presumably be leading the climbs so you would have no language problems. Personally I love this part of the alps, so much better weather than further north. They are based in the Champsaur above Gap. Les Rouies is a straightforward glacier slog, seen it from an adjoining peak. Obiou is over in the Devoluy, a distinctive outlying range to the west of the main Ecrins. The French guidebook I have describes it as more of a scramble than a climb. I can look up the other peaks if you wish. Certainly a varied lot of days. Actually I shall be in this area myself in June = I would like to buy a property there.
Post edited at 00:34
altirando 02 Mar 2014
In reply to altirando:

Just had a longer look at the programme - I did wince a bit at the 1350e price for a week, and of course it doesn't include travel which will presumably be by train to Gap. But don't tell them I said so - they could be neighbours if I buy an apartment near them. Anyone with a modicum of experience would be able to do all these ascents on their own or with a mate. The Piolit mentioned is just a fun walk - I remember seeing a little girl of about ten romping up with her Dad, going down the route described. If you are staying on after the week or getting some training in beforehand I can suggest some easy peaks to climb on your own.
 Doug 02 Mar 2014
In reply to altirando:

Lovely area & I'm sure you'd have a good time but does seem expensive, although I guess you're paying for a guide & their local knowledge.
OP eliza 02 Mar 2014
Hi altirando, hi doug, thanks for your comments. I'm quite happy the level is pretty introductory and I'm happy to be guided as this being my first experience of mountaineering so I like the idea of it being achievable and a chance to get to grips with everything..I think it will be enough of a challenge for me..

However I'm always up for suggestions of how to get out there and really appreciate advice from someone who knows the region...Altirando, I'd be interested to hear more about other easier peaks nearby...

Many thanks,

Ellie
altirando 03 Mar 2014
In reply to EllieEP:

Not as easy to get to as somewhere like Chamonix. I imagine the UA people will have the latest info. But I found it was possible to get to Gap in a day from London by tgv to Valence and connecting local train on the Briancon line. I think in summer there is a connection that avoids crossing Paris in case you are not familiar with the metro. An alternative might be bus to Grenoble, established service, and then another to Gap. Again UA would know. This is assuming just you. Cheaper for two by car, two days from Calais, I stop at bargain hotels like Formule 1. Certainly a good idea to stop out another week before or after to get the best value from the travel cost. Obviously not another 1350 though, still think this sounds expensive. Perhaps best to move down into the main valley near transport - 05voyageurs website lists ramblers busses.
Interesting days in the area include Pic de Gleize, delightful miniature mountain, Le Vieux Chaillol - straightforward 3100m mountain, Autane - initial help from a gondola lift. You would need to rent a car to get the most out of the extra week. The tourist slogan for the area is "Where the snows meet the lavender" and it should be at its best in late June.
I shall be in the area at the same time - I could give you my mobile number as a fallback if you get stuck for a walk or transport. Always happy to introduce someone to the delights of the area.
 Doug 04 Mar 2014
In reply to altirando:

If I'm not driving, I usually get the night train from Paris (where I live) to Gap, from where there are buses. If you do stay in the area, you could also consider places on the other side of the Ecrins or even the Queyras.
altirando 04 Mar 2014
In reply to EllieEP:

Worth comparing with an ISM course in Switzerland at Leysin, same price, full on climbing week, not just hill walking, easier to get to. And yes, lots to explore in the area like the Queyras, Ailefroide, Briancon, Claree. But you would need to rent a car. And perhaps take a tent.
newhorizon 26 Mar 2014
In reply to EllieEP:

Hi Ellie,

I wouldn't worry about the price as you should be able to arrange cheaper accommodation, I saw that on their website they have campsites etc. I think the people at UA could help with your budget. I have heard good things about them from friends who have done their activity holidays. In fact, as they are quite famous in the area, I have often bumped into their clients etc. I've travelled to the area a lot over the last few years, as it is my favourite region of the alps. It is a real climbing mecca, with ceuse and all the Ecrins peaks etc. Plus it is way cheaper and sunnier than the N Alps.

Getting there is easy, just fly to Marseille with easyjet and rent a car. Cheapest and quickest from London. Usually costs me around £200 all in for a weeks rental and return flight from Gatwick. Airport is 2 hrs from Gap. The drive is empty fast motorway after Aix.

I have met the guide Bernard (our friends were with him for the day) and he is a lovely chap. I think the advantage of having a local guide like him is you will experience a whole different holiday than a self guided one. I.E. find out all the local secret spots and learn about the wildlife. (He is really into his wolves and birds) Plus if you want to learn the tricky techniques and need the gear for mountaineering, there is no question about having a guide. I have friends from London who have done holidays with UA and they said the best thing was meeting other people in the group and having the piece of mind that everything is pre-organised. I think that is the reason you pay extra for these types of trips, because a lot of work goes into the planning and looking after the clients. Personally, if I was in your position, I would call UA and have a chat with them to see how they can help you and get a better idea of the trip. They seem like a very professional company.

In that part of the Alps it is great because there are way less English tourists, but as a result, less English companies running trips. One thing I would say is that June is an amzing time to visit. Each time I've been there the weather has been stunning and all the flowers are out at that time!

Hope that helps and good luck with your choice.
 mc2006 26 Mar 2014
In reply to newhorizon:

What does UA stand for?
altirando 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

You haven't been paying attention!
 mc2006 27 Mar 2014
In reply to altirando:

Haha no I wasn't I realised after I posted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...