UKC

Going car shopping tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andic 01 Mar 2014
Budget is £20-28k

Im ready for something snorting and psychopathic, but she is still a learner and will be driving whatever we get (hopefully) soon, also it cannot be an old man car and has to be cute. I'd like a 4wd system she wants auto but I really don't, could live with semi.

What can uck recommend? Small merc/Audi/BMW ?

I commute sheffield to glossop daily btw
 gethin_allen 01 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

Just a note to say that auto box cars of this type hold their value better than manual version.
andic 02 Mar 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Something to think about thanks.
I have driven plenty of autos but still prefer to be able to grab a car by the scruff of the neck if I so wish, also she can't afford to go over to auto just yet or she will be trapped.
Post edited at 00:21
 gethin_allen 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

I've only driven one auto hire car ages ago and just couldn't get used to just letting go on hill starts.
 Tall Clare 02 Mar 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Newer Audis with the electronic handbrake feel a bit like that - Mr TC had a couple and it felt very counterintuitive until I got used to it.
 Tall Clare 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

Based on looks alone, I prefer the new Merc A series to the BMW 1 series (pug ugly cars!), but for something smaller (would it be too small) the A1 is cute and apparently the hotter versions are great fun.
 sargy 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I bought an Audi A1 from new a few years ago. 185bhp supercharged turbo with DSG auto. Great fun and sounded awesome when the charger/turbos where spooling up. The auto made driving easy, and you can get steering wheel paddles to drive it in 'manual' mode. Was a lovely little car, but baby forced sale, so plumped for a a UKC favourite- an Octavia Scout!
 sargy 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:
PS the new A3 Sportback is a lovely motor and well reviewed....

(Available with Quattro and DSG....)
Post edited at 12:17
 arch 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

Subaru Impreza ??
 Skyfall 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:
Looking at v similar issues currently. The Merc A's are supposed to have v poor ride quality and, when you look at them, are blingy and don't feel well built. The BMW 1 series is an odd mix and is quite an old car now (though I think the X1 has some appeal oddly). My other half is going for the Audi A3 Sportback which seems to have it all (build/ride/looks etc) and lots of engine choice.

Personally, for that size car or unless you get a big engine version, I'd not bother with auto although i do on my main car and actually really like it. The paddles etc mean you can drop a gear quickly for overtaking etc and sports mode lets it hang on to the gears for longer. But you really wouldn't want to drive it in 'manual' mode for long - just temporary or switch into sports mode.
Post edited at 14:40
 Stone Idle 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

The new BMW 2 looks interesting - but I bought the 320d auto. Quick when you want it to be but otherwise v. civilised. Can be driven in full auto or as a clutchless stick shift - slick. Nowhere near the quoted 60 mpg but who cares?
andic 02 Mar 2014
In reply to arch:

My first choice when I lived a five minute walk from work.....
andic 02 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:
Thanks all,

Had a go in an a3 sportback and a q3 today. Enjoyed the q3 more than I thought I would, it might be a goer. 3 months waiting list tho' wtf?
Post edited at 19:20
 Mostin3 04 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

If I had that sort of money to play with and shared the same requirements, these would be the three cars I'd consider. I must add I don't, or ever have, owned a BMW.

BMW 123d coupe would get my vote. Good looks, powerful engine, low tax, low insurance group and frugal on fuel.

Something a bit more pokey:

BMW 135i blisteringly quick. Expensive to tax, still capable of +30mpg

BMW 335d as quick as the above, cheaper to tax, more practical being larger and will manage 40mpg if driven sensibly.

Something more fun:

Renaultaport megane 265. Best handling hatchback ever made. 35mpg cheapish to insure and tax.
 Toby S 04 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

I've got a 3 Series Tourer with an auto gearbox. I think it's a 'semi' because it has a 'sports' mode where I can manually shift the gears up and down.

It's comfortable, quick, the wife likes it (always a bonus), reliable and it handles well. On the downside it ain't the cheapest to service and the run-flat tyres can be on the expensive side. And it eats petrol! Although I hear the diesels can be very frugal.

I got mine with the dynamic traction control option which has proved to have been helpful during winter.
 Mostin3 04 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

The beauty of a tourer is you can sleep in the back too
 ByEek 04 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

Does it have to be new? Sadly at that budget, you could accidentally end up with a high spec new Ford Focus or Astra if you are not careful. But if you go for a 1 - 3 year old, you effectively double your money and still get a stonking good car in the mix.

Personally, I would go for a BMW and preferably something exciting. To hell with with 4x4 if that isn't available. Even a landy won't get over the Snake Pass on the worst winter days. And what a superb road to drive a decent car? That said, the fuel consumption would grate after a while.

Get something exciting lad and ignore anyone who says a Skoda Octavia is the only way to go!
 pebbles 04 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

what on earth are you thinking of getting a new driver a merc for? its inevitably going to get a small prang or two, the gearbox is going to get trashed and the whole experience will be a lot less traumatic for both of you if its not an expensive car. leave the toys till she has a year or two of driving experience under her belt!
Removed User 04 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:
I'll echo the last few posters.

If you absolutely have to have 4wd then a Japanese rally car is the logical choice, however, if you want imho a better driving experience, reasonable running costs and practicality then get a BMW. At your budget you could get a secondhand Alpina B3 or an M3. A standard 330i is more than quick enough for the road.

Or get an older 911...
Post edited at 13:08
andic 08 Mar 2014
In reply to andic:

thanks all, sorry for ignoring my own topic and your advice; i have actually had to do some work this week, (I havn't checked but we could well be in the news).

Well after a week of looking we are settld on a rapid diesel audi quattro with an auto box, it will be red.

Check out my other car thread, what to do with my old car....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...