UKC

Kids harness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
grithugger 02 Mar 2014
I need three climbing harnesses for my girls, i've got 2x6 year olds and, 1x7 year old. Do i need full harnesses or can i get them a sit harness each? I've looked at all the websites but i would like first hand advice please.

Thanks in advance

Grithugger
 Nige M 02 Mar 2014
In reply to grithugger:

Assuming that they are of average size for their age I would recommend DMM Tomcat sit harnesses for all three. If you go for a full body type harnesses, they will outgrow them by age 8-9. The Tomcat has a couple of neat tricks that make it highly adjustable: (i) you can slide the inner load-bearing waist belt relative to the outer part that has the padding and this enables you to get it tighter by moving the buckle round further; (ii) you can alter the inner load-bearing waist belt such that it doesn't pass through a sewn guide loop and this also enables you to get it tighter.

I have two daughters who have been wearing sit harnesses since they were six for both top-roping and leading. Full body harnesses aren't really designed for leading in.
Removed User 02 Mar 2014
In reply to grithugger:

I use Black Diamond Wizz Kids for my two girls aged 7 and 9. They are excellent.
 Carolyn 02 Mar 2014
In reply to grithugger:

If they're slim, you might need to check you can tighten a kids sit harness enough - my 8 year old is fairly tall but slim, and I can only just get the waist tight enough (I think it's the Wizz Kid). But he is one of those kids who has to have trousers with adjustable waists or they just fall down.....
 winhill 02 Mar 2014
In reply to grithugger:
Definitely try before you buy if you can, especially if you're talking 3 harnesses.

I sold a wild country vision full harness recently, the Dad was happy to hand over the cash as it was used twice, no signs of wear, less than half price. But I said to try it first, thinking it was the best he was going to get and a sure thing but then his daughter completely turned her nose up at it. Luckily he had a younger son who was beaming with it on so bought it anyway.

Same thing happened with one of mine, bought him a petzl horrendous but he barely tried it, I'd have insisted he use it if he didn't already have a wc elite ultralite that he was happy with (although he wasnt happy with that at first!).

If they fit a sit harness and they're happy with it, I'd get them one at that age. You can't teach really belaying in a full harness. If possible I'd get a threadback as well because it's much less likely to get fiddled with. Plus they need to know about them for nicas.

The Wiz Kid is only £30 at Decathlon, though.

Clog centre harness is a good option, it's big enough for adults too but lacks gear loops.

Another alternative is a separate chest harness, camp do one and there's an edelrid one on the auction site for £14 ATM.
Post edited at 00:02
grithugger 03 Mar 2014
In reply to grithugger:
Thanks for the advice everyone, i think i'd rather get sit harnesses if i can get them to fit espeacially as i've got to shell out for 3 i dont want to have to replace them again in the very future!

Thanks again for the advice.

Grithugger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...