UKC

Ben More and Stob Binnein ok for a walking trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rock Limpet 02 Mar 2014

Hi,

am considering walking up Ben More and Stob Binnien next weekend. Am aiming to do this just a long hill walk rather than a trip that needs crampons/axes etc. Just wondering if this is this feasible or not? Haven't been to Scotland at this time of year before so wondering just how snowy/difficult such routes get? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Post edited at 17:01
 Mark Bull 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet:

There's a lot of snow above 600m at the moment on most of the Scottish hills. Ben More and Stobinian will definitely require axe and crampons, I'm afraid.
 SimonCRMC 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet:

I was in the area a couple of weeks ago and everyone is saying they've not seen that much snow in many years, and because of that there are lot of instabilities in the snowpack. You absolutely will need to treat it as full winter conditions requiring appropriate equipment and skills.
HTH. Simon.
 Skol 02 Mar 2014
In reply to SimonCRMC:

I remember the Ben More ascent to have been gruelling and steep. I wouldn't want to do it in snow. Perhaps if these are your objectives, then heading to the bealach between the two would be safer? As Simon has said, it's full on winter conditions at the moment.
Perhaps Schiehallion or Ben Lomond are better objectives, but still requiring the winter hardware and skills?
andymac 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet:
Snow quantities seem to vary every weekend.

Last weekend there was a lot less on my Ben More than the previous Sunday ,and what was on the summit was hard and compacted.

Today I found myself nuts deep (pardon my crude description) a few times in soft ,drifted snow.

I use Inov8 Oroc trainers at this time of year.

But I am irresponsible and reckless. If it needs crampons ,I don't go there.
Post edited at 18:43
drmarten 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet:

http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/

Should give you some indication of snow cover, although at the moment I'd say it would require axe/crampons.
OP Rock Limpet 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet:

thanks folks, looks like going up a mountain will be beyond us at this time of year. (We have no winter skills or gear!) Does anyone have suggestions for a fairly stenuous walk (6-7hours) with good views (as remote and wild as poss) and fairly near Loch Katrine? Sorry, fairly specific requirements I know!)

Thanks.
 andrew ogilvie 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet: You could follow the Mell Trail around loch Kinglas from Brig O Turk. The route is on landrover tracks but goes up and over a high pass about 600m with nice views North from there and goes trhough a couple of nice glens. rather a nice walk and very close to Loch Katrine but not a mountaineering trip.

duckman 03 Mar 2014
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Stob Binnein was horrible on Saturday and there was snow in the village yesterday.
OP Rock Limpet 03 Mar 2014
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Have had a look on the map and that looks ideal. Thanks a lot (I think you mean finglas not kinglas though)
jjmacewan 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Rock Limpet:

You could join up the big Mell/Finglas loop with some other adjoining Woodland Trust routes.

Details in the downloadable leaflet:

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood-information/glen-fingla...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...