UKC

Vipec 12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jay.mac 02 Mar 2014
Does anyone know if the 'high' colour clip toe attachment for the Vipec 12 is a practical solution and where they can be purchased? I am wanting to use the vipec's with TLT 6 boots but have found little informations on them.
Cheers j
OP jay.mac 02 Mar 2014
In reply to OwenM:

thanks Owen, I did read that, but I believe they are not compatible because the boot fails to release the toe unit after a heel release. With a modified Colour clip (protruding higher), this might be able to solve the problem? I have not seen them though or heard if they work?

Morgan Woods 02 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

quite a bit of info here on boot compatibility if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.wildsnow.com/11868/fritschi-vipec-factory-review/
 NickBrown 03 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

This video details the compatibility issues between the Vipec and TLT6 Boots. (It affects the TLT5 and the Scarpa Alien as well)
youtube.com/watch?v=Keauz0UpSSo&
 dave frost 03 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

Ive heard some disturbing things about the vipec bindings and them generally not being that great. early release mainly, and as all us guys know, early release is never a good thing.

Cheers
Dave
 OwenM 03 Mar 2014
In reply to dave frost:

I was think of getting a pair what exactly have you heard?
 AdrianC 03 Mar 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Sorry to barge in but I recently witnessed a serious problem with one of these bindings. One of the front pins' position is adjustable - it can be screwed in or out to suit the boot. It's a steel pin in an aluminium mount and the pin had become cross-threaded and jammed in a position that prevented the pin from locating in the boot hole and therefore stopped the binding toe piece from locking onto the boot. The binding wasn't useable and the skier had to walk down (luckily from a totally non-serious position.) The design includes a locking nut to lock the pin at the right position. The locking nut had loosened and I'm speculating that this was caused by friction from the rotation between boot & pin but it could be that it wasn't tightened properly when it was set up. You'd have to be pretty onto it to spot this in use and it's a very hard thing to fix in the field (we tried...)
In reply to AdrianC:

This appears to be a common problem - it happened to a friend of mine and I was talking to the owner in a ski store last week about it - I believe that the design has since been revised. Apparently the problem is fixed on older models by gluing the pins in place.
 OwenM 04 Mar 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

That's a blow, might hangfire on buying them until next season maybe by then they'll have ironed out the gremlins.
In reply to OwenM:

Used a pair today - IMHO a clever design that needs refining - no issues skiing on them but managed to release the toe making kick turns when skinning, so the ski came off completely several times. Perhaps guy in shop had set them up incorrectly but I doubt it. And yes, I was in touring mode before anyone asks.

Shame as they are super easy to use otherwise, neat heal release and riser mechanism. But I wouldn't swap my Marker F12s for them just yet.
OP jay.mac 05 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

I had read about pin problems with early models, latest dispatched have loctite I believe? Good to get hear personal accounts though.

All things point to 'wait another year' then!

Anyone think Dynafit will respond with a new product next year?
 Morgan Woods 05 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

They may have some new products but I'm not sure they will be a "response" to the Vipec:

http://www.wildsnow.com/11958/dynafit-new-bindings-2014-2015/
 maria85 06 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

The latest ones are loctite-d in, so there shouldn't be any issues. These are identified by a green dot (sticker) on the binding. They will still be adjustable if you need to, but would require breaking the loctite and re-gluing them once adjusted.
 Mr Powly 06 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

Just to reiterate what others have said, anything other than the first release should have the adjustable pin glued in place. I bought one of the early sets and have just glued mine in, which I hope should prevent any problems. Skiing with them for the first time next week so we'll see then.

In reply to your first question, they come with the high toe piece included, so you can easily swap them and shouldn't have to buy the piece separately.
Tom
 top cat 06 Mar 2014
In reply to jay.mac:

The worst thing I have heard is that they are like early Dynatec wrt lack of 'locator' so that getting the boots and pins to line upis the nightmare it alway was with Dynafiddles.

I understand that the new Dynatec is better in this regard as they have some boot guides.?
 Mr Powly 06 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

Just clicking in and out of them on my carpet I have had any difficulty at all - it's a slghtly different technique to dynafit but you can line the toe up easily if you put your heel against the rear part of the binding first.
 top cat 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr Powly:

But what will it be like when your ski is under a foot of snow, or on steep, hard icy snow? Dynafiddles are a nightmare in real conditions!
 AdrianC 07 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

Not sure what Dynatec is. Sure - lining up the binding & boot with Dynafits takes a bit of practice but it really isn't that hard - even in "real" conditions. The Radical series are better than the older Verticals with a couple of posts in the toe piece to help line up the boot and an easier heel raiser system.

No system is perfect but Dynafits are far from being a nightmare - just look at how many you see on a day out touring!
moffatross 07 Mar 2014
Tonight I discovered not only that that I am some kind of a weirdo because it only took me 2 minutes to get used to clipping in to Dynafits but also that I only ski in artificial conditions too. This is the Matrix and I claim my £10.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...