UKC

Insurance for a walking group

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 03 Mar 2014
I'm setting up a walk group in my village, anyone can turn up for a local walk of maybe 6 miles at a specific time and date. I'm an ML and have my own public liability insurance as leader. Any advice on whether the group needs public liability insurance, or can we (truthfully!) just say that we are a bunch of friends out for a walk? I did advertise it in the parish mag and have a healthy take-up. There's no charge to participants and no rules or constitution.
 climbwhenready 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I am struggling to understand why you would want public liability insurance when going on a walk? I understand for a professional leader, but not for anyone else. Been on loads of walks, never felt like I was putting anyone in danger when doing so.
 Trangia 03 Mar 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

I sup[pose that if his navigation isn't up to scratch it's conceivable that a farmer could sue the group (or at least the leader)for walking through and damaging crops?

But I agree with you the chances of putting third parties in danger is remote.
In reply to Pete Pozman:

The group does not need insurance to go for a walk though I'm sure if you rang a few insurance companies, they'd tell you otherwise
 earlsdonwhu 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pete Pozman:
If there is no charge etc it is basically a bunch of friends going for a walk together. You wouldn't consider insurance for a walk with your family so why with what amounts to friends or acquaintances.
OP Pete Pozman 04 Mar 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I know that the world has gone mad, just wondered if there was something I was missing.
The Ramblers have advice on insurance when setting up local groups. People have said that they haven't been confident about setting up such a group in the past because of public liability insurance.
Moley 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Pete Pozman:

In our local freebie magazine this month there is a local walking group contributing to the Cambrian walking festival and doing other walks.

I quote from the end of the article:

" Llandovery Walkers are Welcome Asscociation has full personal insurance cover with Tennyson Insurance (of the Zurich group) for organising up to 5 public walks per annum, each walk for a maximum of 10 participants: this is a costly necessity of life today, unfortunately, and therefore a fee of £5 will have to be charged for each walk."

I guess this is needed, but all seems a bit over the top. A sad sign of the times.
In reply to Moley:
Why have they mentioned the insurers by name? Insurance is most definitely not needed for a group of people walking round a wood or common. Ie it is not against the law.
The insurance in this instance is probably a stipulation of the festival's insurer who are probably sponsoring the ad in the magazine.
Post edited at 10:14
Moley 04 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

No idea why insurers are mentioned. It isn't actually an advert, it's front page article for the mag (not much happens round here!), also to quote: "We are pleased to announce that Llandovery WaW has been asked to contribute 2 walks to the Cambrian Mountains Festival in September.....etc."

So it appears to be a walking group first and foremost. At what stage a group of friends going for a walk becomes an organised group of walkers that require insurance, I have no idea.

I'm only a member of the LDWA and I think all their social walks are covered by the Association insurance. But those walks are advertised in the LDWA magazine, so open to any member to attend, but that is very different to what Pete P is proposing. If I were him I would just get on with it.
OP Pete Pozman 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Moley:

The MTA say you don't need insurance for the kind of activity we're planning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...