UKC

Inspiring a new generation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Lyon 04 Mar 2014
I know that my creative mind is nothing compared to the UKC vault of knowledge so I wonder if anyone can help me inspire the next generation of climbers and expedition goers.

I'm currently putting a bit of a package together to go into schools alongside a mobile climbing wall to help them learn about mountain environments and expedition experiences, the rich history of the big range expeds and how we do it today. Here's a couple of things I'd love your help with:

Introducing the session on mountain emergencies, I'm looking for a gripping true story suitable for young ears, which has a cliffhanger moment that will get them thinking about what next?

Practically, I'm looking to dress 2 mannequins up; one in old(30s-50s)outdoor wear or similar and one in modern gear. Anyone on here got anything suitable to donate or have a contact at Rab or somewhere? I'll collect or arrange collection if you're willing. We're based in the Midlands if you're passing. Incidentally, I don't have a mannequin yet either, if anyone has a spare.

thanks for any help you can offer.

tlm 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Why not get 2 of the children to dress up?
 Siward 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Bit predictable but there's the cutting the rope Touching the Void moment for a tale.
OP Phil Lyon 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Siward:

predictable is fine, as most kids won't have heard it. Good point on the mannequins. Might need teachers as some of the gear we currently have is grown up sized.

Firestarter 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Phil Lyon:

What age kids? Recent documentary on K2 and an Irishman's fatal decision to help fellow climbers might suit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...