UKC

Top-roping Aberdeen cliffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElvisMax1 05 Mar 2014
I'm looking for advice on good places for top-roping on the cliffs around Aberdeen. I'm looking for intermediate grades. Any tips on good places with reasonable access, easy for tying in, etc.

Jamie B 05 Mar 2014
In reply to ElvisMax1:

What do you mean by "easy for tying in"? Easy to rig equalised anchors?
OP ElvisMax1 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

Well, easy to rig anchors to fixed structures, such as boulders, etc.
 peter.herd 05 Mar 2014
In reply to ElvisMax1:

Deceptive wall and Black Rock Gulch are quite good south of Aberdeen. Clashrodney also has some good micro routes that you might top rope and is good for barbeques. Meikle partans is also a good begginer venue, further north. There arent many areas on the NE sea cliffs with 'easy' anchors. There are some stakes, there is some loose rock, the odd boulder. Go to the pass of ballater if you want trees!
 Michael Gordon 06 Mar 2014
In reply to ElvisMax1:

Define 'intermediate grades'?
OP ElvisMax1 06 Mar 2014
In reply to peter.herd:

Thanks. (I'll remember to pack the bbq!)
 Jamie B 06 Mar 2014
In reply to ElvisMax1:

> Well, easy to rig anchors to fixed structures, such as boulders, etc.

None of that. You'll need to be able to place gear such as nuts and hexes, and extend and equalise them with rigging rope.
 Mike00010 07 Mar 2014
In reply to ElvisMax1:

Join the Cairngorm Club (google them) and go out climbing with their group. They'll happily give you the opportunity to learn how to second and then to do some basic trad leads. Once you can lead easy trad you could setup safe top ropes on some of the harder routes there if you felt you needed to. This is how I learnt to climb in Aberdeen.
OP ElvisMax1 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike00010:

Thanks for that. Sounds like a sensible option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...