UKC

Ski touring - best huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rory Shaw 05 Mar 2014
I'm looking for some advice on Ski touring this Easter. Ideally we want a hut or couple of huts that we can spend 4 nights in from which we can do some good day tours from and return to the same valley base at the end of it. I've been to Gran Paradiso from the VE hit and would be keen to go back (made it to the bergshrund last time. Are they other good day tours to do from this hut or another hut a day away with good stuff to do from it? I have also thought about the Gnifetti hut above Gressoney - anyone been there in winter?
I'm open to all your helpful suggestions.

Thanks

Rory
 MG 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Take a look at the Vittorio Sella hut above Cogne. Various day options also a traverse to the GP area. Great hut, good food, friendly staff.
OP Rory Shaw 05 Mar 2014
In reply to MG:

Thanks will check it out
 OwenM 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

If you want the Grand Paradiso area you could try this route, youtube.com/watch?v=8kk9QQFbE8o&
 jon 05 Mar 2014
In reply to MG:

> Take a look at the Vittorio Sella hut above Cogne. Various day options also a traverse to the GP area. Great hut, good food, friendly staff.

Absolutely. Enough stuff to go at there for four nights. Even better, if you can work out the transport, to traverse over to the Chabod via the Gran Serra (Grand Serre) and another col I've forgotten the name of. You can then do the Gran Paradiso from there (it joins the VE route) and ski down to Vittorio Emanuele. The next day do Tresenta (or not) and skin/ski round to the head of the valley - the col du Grand Etret - and ski down into Pont (this is a great descent and just so much better than carrying your skis down from the VE).
 chris bedford 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Benevolo hut - easy get in/out, loads of great little day tours. Guardian who was there in April 2012 spoke good English and went out of his way to suggest lots of fun things to do. Could probably traverse over to the VE hut from there.
OP Rory Shaw 06 Mar 2014
Thanks for all the suggestions - reckon the huts round GP sound like a good option. Anyone now how easy it would be to get from Pont to Cogne to pick up a car - I'm guessing hitching could be a goer?
 jon 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:
There's a really good bus service up all those valleys. Hitching would probably work well too as there are always loads of ski tourers driving around.

As Chris Bedford says, Benevelo is a great base. Tends to get crowded and difficult to get a booking at very busy times. The Bezzi Hut in Valgrisenche is an excellent base too and can easily be linked to Benevelo.
Post edited at 20:55
 sam1971 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Bit obvious but Cabane de Dix above Arolla is my fave. Cracking hut with great terrace, good atmosphere, epic setting and surrounded by tours of all grades. Just male sure you book early!
 MG 09 Mar 2014
In reply to jon:
> There's a really good bus service up all those valleys. Hitching would probably work well too as there are always loads of ski tourers driving around.

Careful - buses to Pont are not so good - three a day in summer and possibly fewer out of season. It used to be Savdabus but I think it may have changed last year. Check with Aosta tourist info. Loads of buses to Cogne.
Post edited at 20:22
 MG 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Actually it is still Savda see the Villenueve - Valsavarenche line.

http://www.savda.it/it/orari.php

but it looks like no buses to Pont until June... I remember now we got a lift last year with a crazy but delightful Swiss woman.
OP Rory Shaw 09 Mar 2014
In reply to MG:

Thanks everyone - some good info here
 jon 09 Mar 2014
In reply to MG:

Ah, sorry about that Martin. Still, I'm sure there's no problem hitching.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...