/ price of trousers...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
captain paranoia - on 05 Mar 2014
I foolishly followed one of the advert links for a pair of TrangoWorld trousers.

155 for a pair of softshell troos? Yoiks... And, whilst they're Schoeller Dryskin, they're not the Cordura-faced Dryskin Extreme.

It also appears that TrangoWorld make a large number of different pairs of trousers. Well, maybe they offer to make them, as a lot seem to be the same design, in different fabrics.

I can only guess that they're very stretchy and well cut, allowing you to bend over whilst you pay for them...

I thought 40 (discounted) was a lot to pay for something very similar...
pneame on 21 Mar 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

It's hard to say how one would reply to this.

Except to say that my Schoeller Dryskin trousers are by a good way the most expensive and best trousers I own.
Dr.S at work - on 21 Mar 2014

Do they have a bombay fly?
captain paranoia - on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to pneame:

> Except to say that my Schoeller Dryskin trousers are by a good way the most expensive and best trousers I own.

Schoeller Dryskin Extreme is a pretty good fabric for trousers, but there are many similar fabrics that aren't as 'reassuringly expensive'. Dryskin isn't the most wind-resistant fabric, IME.

I've been rather impressed by fabric and cut of Decathlon's Forclaz 900 Warm, and have been wearing them almost non-stop since I bought them*. It's more wind resistant than Dryskin, with a decent DWR and robust face fabric.

* for the hygiene-conscious: except when I've had them in the wash...
astley007 - on 24 Mar 2014

you tried primark? exceptional!!!
Siward on 25 Mar 2014

"'England's going to pot,' said Thesiger, as Hugh and I lay smoking the interpreter's king-size cigarettes, the first for a fortnight. 'Look at this shirt, I've only had it three years, now it's splitting. Same with tailors; Gull and Croke made me a pair of whipcord trousers to go to the Atlas Mountains. Sixteen guineas - wore a hole in them in a fortnight"

from 'A short walk in the Hindu Kush' Eric Newby.
ben b - on 25 Mar 2014

Earlier this year I was looking to replace my 15 year old utterly knackered Mello's schoeller trousers, and ended up in Mountain Designs in Sydney when they had a "30% off all stickered prices" sale.

Then after some trying on I found a pair of Mammut troos - these ones: https://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/102007581_v_0001_48/Base-Jump-Advanced-II-Pants-Men.html
Which not only had 30% off but they had also been stickered incorrectly at $200 instead of $300, which worked out at about 75 quid. Which was nice ;-) and only 50% more than the Decathlon ones!

I think schoeller do some of the best legwear fabrics out there but the range is getting quite complex, and distinctions between different products are increasingly difficult to follow.

b

tjin - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to ben b:

If you don't want to fork out the money, get the simond (used to be Quechua) softshell trouwsers at decathlon. If you buy fancier stuff, well you get a fancier price tag.
ben b - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to tjin:

Indeed.

However on an n=2 basis, a (previously expensive but half price sale) Mello's pair lasted 15 years of intermittent hard wear; a (much cheaper) pair of MEC schoeller pants from Canada had assorted seams unravel within a year or two. I have a few bits of Decathlon gear and whilst it is astoundingly cheap, it isn't made for the long run.

Conversely, some 'high end' manufacturers charge like a wounded bull for no obvious benefit. I'm all for good discounts in sales :-)

b
captain paranoia - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to ben b:
> I have a few bits of Decathlon gear and whilst it is astoundingly cheap, it isn't made for the long run.

Time will tell I guess...

I have a couple of Peter Storm CoolMax t-shirts that I've had since ... dear God, 2001 (paying the princely sum of 12.50 each), and they're still going strong, despite very regular use.

ps. nice find on the Mammuts...

My local TK Maxx currently have some high-end Dainese equestrian trousers; all top-end Schoeller fabrics, and hexagonal-tiled armour at the hips. Currently knocked down to 17, IIRC... I've also bought ACG and Lowe Schoeller trousers there, and Marmot and Sprayway Dryskin-alike trousers at silly prices. Bargains are always great...
Post edited at 12:54
captain paranoia - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to astley007:

> you tried primark? exceptional!!!

I have, yes... And find that they aren't well cut for climbing or walking.
ads.ukclimbing.com
wilkesley - on 26 Mar 2014

Stihl chainsaw trousers are made from the same/similar fabric to Mammut Base Jumps and you can often find bargains on ebay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.