UKC

Discussing your private life on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 05 Mar 2014
I have occasionally shared private/personal information on here.

Is it a definate no no? What do you make of OPs on 'sensitive' issues?

What is your opinion?
 Yanis Nayu 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Each to their own.
 John_Hat 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I think the private life threads are, somewhat strangely, the threads where UKC shines its brightest. People are (generally) sympathetic, helpful, and caring. Generally reading them restores (for me) some degree of faith in UKCKind.

So I actually quite like them. Whether people want to share personal information with a bunch of strangers on the internet is another thing and up to them, but sometimes the dis-interested third party gives the best advice because they are not emotionally tied into matters.
 marsbar 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I think I draw the line if the situation includes other people as its not fair.

I've posted personal stuff more in a context of other peoples threads I think than my own.

Offwidth 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Post what you like about yourself within the rules. If it involves others make sure they are happy with this first.
 The Potato 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

personal stuff can include a question about something seemingly unrelated to the person, but can reflect on their views and beliefs, so in a way a lot of people share personal info
In reply to Blizzard:

there's a distinction between airing your dirty laundry and asking for advice on personal matters. UKC falls into the latter category. Facebook, unfortunately has a fair amount of sympathy seekers doing the former. I like the latter for various reasons but mainly because it shows people's good side.
OP Blizzard 05 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I don't think I have ever read any 'dirty laundry' threads on here.
In reply to Blizzard:

> I don't think I have ever read any 'dirty laundry' threads on here

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=580420&v=1#x7695688

There's not that many I've seen either but I was just trying to point out that personal issue threads are fine as long as they aren't sympathy hunting.
 stewieb 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I think that similar to the internet as a whole people should be careful on what they post if they don't want the information to be public knowledge. Even if you have an anonymous sounding username people who already know you (even as very casual acquaintances) may easily identify you based on what you post in a specific thread. If they then choose to have a look at your posting history you might well be giving out a lot of information you never intended to be made public.
needvert 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> Post what you like about yourself within the rules. If it involves others make sure they are happy with this first.

That's a tough one.

Personal relationship issues - This is a public forum and not the place for discussing specific personal relationship issues. We will not tolerate the practice of starting a thread under the pretext that it is a general relationship discussion, yet in reality it refers to a specific issue between two or more individuals.

In my observation due to the inherent social nature of ourselves and our environments, most serious personal things relate in some way to a relationship.

It's also often not feasible to ask peoples permission before such dialogues start. While I do think that everyone's privacy is extremely important, I also consider the ability to talk about issues people may be facing (despite it probably not being within the forum guidelines) to be important.

I think the following is a sensible route:
- Post in the pub, so messages aren't as easily accessible forever
- Do not disclose identifying information (this includes about yourself out of necessity, you can't be known by your full name, talk about your wife and think people won't be able to work out her last name)
 FreshSlate 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Not really arsed. People can talk about whatever they want on here, I'm no mushy talk Nazi .

People have to take certain precautions. As the post above says, be careful with identifying information and beware the troll.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...