UKC

Pulled chest wall muscle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 06 Mar 2014
Think I have managed to pull a muscle in my chest whilst bouldering today. I warmed up then went all out on the circuit board. Soon as I was off it I thought I was having a heart attack for a while it was agony! Tried walking (climbing) it off but that was a Bad idea. Any tips on recovery and how to avoid doing it in the future? I know rest is probably best.... But I dont want to . Maybe stick to slabs and focus on technique or something.
 Steve Perry 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

I did the same in January and found Ibuprofen gel worked with the healing every night before bed.
 bluesharper 06 Mar 2014

It is probably not the same injury as yours, however I reckon I had four intercostal muscle injuries in recent years. In my case the pain was localised in my back and/or on my side (pretty low) and was only present during certain moves or when the area was pressed. No pain was present in a relaxed state. Where is your pain localised? I was not diagnosed by a professional, but this is how I see it:

1. Proper rupture of an intercostal muscle on my right side - I was doing a heavy seated row in a weights gym, the load was about my body weight. I felt a click in my ribs area. I felt pain during certain moves, like reaching high with my right arm on a climbing wall, for months. Deep inhalation also causes pain when you have an intercostal injured.

2. Strained an intercostal on my left side - I do not remember how it happened, either in the weights gym or while climbing or training for climbing. I recovered pretty quickly.

3. Strained an intercostal on my right side - I proceeded to heavy dead lifts too quickly at the start of my weights workout without proper warm-up. I was just showing off. The moment the spectators left I incresed the load further, started lifting and felt pain in my ribs. Stupidly I did not stop, but more less completed the move making things worse. Fortunately I recovered within weeks.

4. Strained an intercostal on my left side - It was caused by some twisting moves on a bouldering wall. It was my first visit on the wall after a five months break, mostly due to family commitments. I was lazy enough to stop training altogehter during that time, as I could not climb. Not the best idea. It was two months ago and I still have not recovered.

Lessons learned:
- warm-up
- start slowly after a break
- maintaining proper form (or lack of it) may be a factor
- be careful with your training

Unfortunately I do not know anything to speed-up the recovery other than rest. The bright side is that I never needed a complete rest, I just avoided things that aggravated the injury further. In retrospect I think I was simply not careful enough with my training, but I suspect these muscles may be my weak point. I started to look for exercises to strenghen them, but I have not found anything really good yet. If anyone knows how to strenghen intercostal muscles, I will be grateful for advice.
 TimmyG 06 Mar 2014

I had a similar-sounding injury a while ago whilst bouldering. Pulling through a steep move I felt something pop in my rib cage at the front. Dropped off onto the mat, breathed in and felt a shooting pain and also thought for a split second that I was having a heart attack! I assume I pulled an intercostal and had to rest up for a few weeks and then gradually ease back in. The worrying thing for me was that I'd had the usual elbow and shoulder problems, but this was totally out off the blue and towards the end of a session, so I was warmed up. I'm not sure what I did wrong but thankfully it only happened once and I haven't had anything similar in the last few years. It certainly was painful though!
 hms 06 Mar 2014

Years ago I did something nasty to a mystery bit of muscle tight under my ribcage on the RHS. I was trying a brutally steep problem at TCA. It has given my problems on and off and still occasionally goes into a tight knot of spasming agony. When it does this I apply firm pressure and if that doesn't do the trick then a really hot hot-water-bottle to try to get it to relax again. And gobble ibuprofen like smarties!
 bluesharper 06 Mar 2014

Following up on my previous post:

This scientific article was very helpful to self-diagnose my injuries as internal intercostal muscle rupture/strain:
http://www.ajronline.org/doi/pdf/10.2214/ajr.181.6.1811511
Maybe it will help you as well.

NOTES:
The article talks about internal oblique muscle, but explains that that internal intercostal muscles are continuous with internal oblique muscles. Please see this picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray395.png
The injuries described happened between ribs.

Other sources explain that internal intercostal muscles are used for forced expiration - as I inhale deeply I feel pain as injured muscles are stretched.
I also find this picture helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Internal_intercostal_muscles_animation.gi...

Good luck with your recovery and your climbing.
 Kassius 06 Mar 2014

A van wing mirror hit me going about 30 right in the centre of my chest. Fooked me for monthes. Ice packs and stretching will help recovery
OP Cheese Monkey 06 Mar 2014

Many thanks for all the replies guys. Will ibuprofen help with healing? Pain is tolerable. Back to work tomorrow though so will take a dose on the way in

Its kind of localised to bottom right I guess and is much worse when I inhale.

Reminds me of when I bruised my lungs but not as bad. Couldn't walk then initially!
 bluesharper 07 Mar 2014

I've spent some more time looking for exercises for intercostals yesterday. As I experience injuries in my side and/or back I think the following have a chance to work:

- side bend with a heavy dumbbell
- Saxon side bend

I will give it a go. (Obviously do not exercise in the acute phase of your injury)

I don't know if ibuprofen can help with healing. I am sceptical though. Tha basic NHS description says: "The painkilling effect of ibuprofen begins soon after a dose is taken, but the anti-inflammatory effect will take longer to begin. It can sometimes take up to three weeks to get the best results." In three weeks time you will hopefully recover somewhat without ibuprofen and its potential side effects. And reducing inflammation, which is a natural reaction, may be good or bad for healing. I think inflammation reduction can help when you have a muscle belly injury. But it can be detrimental as well, particularly for tendon healing.

See this:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1758-2555/1/23
And an article from Dave MacLeod about finger pulleys with a summary of drugs effects on tendons:
http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/pulley-injuries-artic...

Who knows what will happen if your intercostal is locally detached from your rib?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...