/ Hathersage tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
First trad trip of 2014, according to the forecast, mainly dry, but looks like it's gonna be quite blowy. So normally we head for Stanage, but it's gonna be windy. Would we be better off at Burbage (north or south)
Also at some stage gotta get to Higgar and do the file

So ukc collective, advice please.
dr_botnik - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Burbage South is usually gopping after rain, if the wind is blowing from the south and quite strong burbage will be as bad as stanage really. Could try Rivelin as a good alternative, sometimes wharncliff (but there's nowhere nearby to bail to near there), otherwise its the quarries.
deacondeacon - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Cider, have you been to millstone before? Some seriously good routes at hvs there, and conditions will suit it tomorrow. If it turns into proper gales you can walk over the road to lawrencefjeld too.
Deacon
Offwidth - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

You sort of answered your own question. Find a crag with shelter from the predicted wind direction. Stanage at this time of year on any windy day is about the worst choice for all but masochists. The trouble with southerlies is that this can really limit choice I'd maybe go to somewhere with lots of tree cover or bays, like Lawrencefield, Millstone, Turning Stone and of course take a bouldering mat as a plan B.
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

I have indeed mate :-) A brutal introduction to jamming - air miles on Embankment 2 - really enjoyed Bond St (apart from a tussle with the crux) and dexterity (likewise).
You climbing tomoz or sat (if so where) might see you :-)
Wasn't over keen on Lawencefield polished :-(
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks :-)
deacondeacon - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Hi mate. Defo not climbing tomorrow but may be climbing on Saturday. I'll drop you a message if I'm about and I'll come and say hello :)
CurlyStevo - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:
Higgar is one of the windiest venues so prob best to avoid.

Rivelin is a good call but can be slower drying if its been damp / dewy over night.

Frogatt is also a reasonable option as would be birchden as they are lower down, not on the summit of a hill and have some tree cover at the base.

Have fun :)
Post edited at 13:00
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

I've sent you an e-mail through ukc with my mob number mate :-)
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Cheers Stevo, maybe I should just go to Millstone and try to thug my way up Bond St and Dexterity (although the guy I'm going with might struggle).

Enjoy the sandstone Sun mate :-)


Only thought about Higgar coz at some stage I've gotta step up to the vice !
Post edited at 13:04
CurlyStevo - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Think you mean the file.....
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

You think right mate (always put one when i mean the other ;-)

Although maybe I mean the rasp - in a few years :-)
Offwidth - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Jamming at your limit on cold days isnt a great idea for you, or keeping your belayer happy, especially as cracks hold damp and chill as they dry out. Nice aretes, walls and slabs well within your ability range should be your target. Morning mist, temps maybe just into the tens on a windy forecast is very much a cold day. I'd certainly be solo or bouldering unless the forecast changed. I will in reality be off chasing winter sun in Sinai otherwise might have tried to find you.
jezb1 - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Grit, grit, grit ;)
CurlyStevo - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

personally looking at the forecast I wouldn't head somewhere too sheltered tomorrow morning or it will take ages to dry, heavy overnight rain forecast until 9am.

I'd personally head somewhere like stanage to start with and then move on if the wind is annoying.
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Cheers, I think that we will just have to put up with the wind at Stanage or Burbage - it's not very often we get the circumstances/opportunity to climb the grit - it looks to be mainly dry so we will just have to see. At very worst we will have to go to the pub to warm up :-)
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Oh yes jez, gods own rock - shame you are not anywhere near sat you would have been more than welcome to have joined us :-)
Ciderslider - on 06 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hey mate without my lucky weather wooky it will probably rain all weekend ;-)
Yeh, I think we will head up to stanage and just play it by ear - at least it will dry quickly :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.