UKC

Car Stereo Alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 06 Mar 2014

I drive a really crap old banger at the end of its life. The stereo was alright 'cause it played mp3 CDs, and now that's broken.

There's no point in me getting another stereo as the car's not going to last long, so what's a decent temporary way to get music in the car? I was thinking computer speakers attached to phone, but that would need either battery power (sounds bad) or speakers that could be plugged into the cigarette lighter?

I have a very low budget.

Grateful for any ideas.
 Glansa 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

In vehicles at work without a decent/phone-conectable stereo I use a Bluetooth speaker (about £19 from Tesco but better models exist from that up to £100s). It's battery powered but charges over USB so a cigarette lighter to USB adaptor finishes the job...
 crayefish 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Headphones?

Any cheap 12V speakers (i.e. 12V transformer) can have the mains plug/transformer cut off and a cigarette lighter socket fitted to the end.

Though given vehicle electrics are actually 13.5V, not 12V, there is a small risk of breaking the speakers. But I guess that given they'd be cheap anyway, it's unlikely to be an issue.
OP Jon Stewart 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Glansa:

Yes, excellent, hadn't thought of bluetooth. I'll look at those, thanks.
OP Jon Stewart 06 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> Headphones?

I need to be able to hear the engine falling out.

> Any cheap 12V speakers (i.e. 12V transformer) can have the mains plug/transformer cut off and a cigarette lighter socket fitted to the end.

Another excellent solution.

> Though given vehicle electrics are actually 13.5V, not 12V, there is a small risk of breaking the speakers. But I guess that given they'd be cheap anyway, it's unlikely to be an issue.

Yup. Thanks.

crayefish 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I need to be able to hear the engine falling out.

Ready with the duct tape?

As they say in engineering; if it moves and it shouldn't; duct tape. It it doesn't move and it should; WD40.
 pec 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

In my first car I had an old ghetto blaster with wires twisted on to the battery terminals and connected to the cigarette lighter. It just sat on the seat next to me or in the footwell if I had a passenger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...