UKC

Ski touring from a bothy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gadameer 06 Mar 2014
I'm looking for some suggestions from the very wise UKC collective please.

Me and a some mates want to hike into a bothy next week with a view to using it as a base for a couple of days ski touring. We'll probably be walking in in the dark so don't want want to go anywhere outrageously remote. A couple of the guys are novice skiers so reasonably mellow skiing terrain in the area would be preferable too. My current favourite option is Ruigh Aiteachain in Glen Feshie as the skiing on Sgor Gaoith looks like it might be pretty good? There's more snow in the West but I'm not as familiar with the bothies out there so if you have any ideas, let's hear them!

Cheers... Gus
 ross 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Gadameer:
Hi Gus, last wkend we cycled to the Culra bothy (Ben Alder) and had 2 fantastic days touring from there. It's pretty quick access on a bike on a good track; we did it in the dark and I was on a cyclocross bike. It was about 20 mins hike from the bothy b4 we could put skis on.
There must be find of other options st the minute too.
Hope you have a great trip what ever you decide to do.
Cheers, Ross.
 daWalt 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Gadameer:

Ruigh Aiteachain is relatively low, below the snow line, so you'll be booting in and out.
I stayed at the Hutchison the other weekend, v nice ski in ski out typa thing. (bring a bag of coal for the stove, get your mates to carry it)
You can cycle up from Braemar to Derry Lodge but I don't know if you can get anywhere up Glen Derry before you have to walk (we skined over from the gorm car park)

I'd keep a eye on the wind direction; windward slopes will be boilerplate ice and not much fun to ski.......
OP Gadameer 07 Mar 2014
In reply to ross:

Thanks Ross. I've been into Culra a few times (love that place). Could be a good option. How did you find cycling with skis? I've never tried that.
OP Gadameer 07 Mar 2014
In reply to daWalt:

Cheers for the info and the advice re conditions. This option has some advantages since we're coming from Aberdeen. The path up Glen Derry is pretty good for most of the way.

Gus
 ross 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Gadameer:
Hi Gus, cycling with skis is ok, I've done it a few times. Get them really high on your rucksack so the tails are more likely to avoid your back wheel. I clip my boots into the bindings once I've got the skis on my sack. Try to remember how high and wide you are! Culra approach is pretty flat and smooth so lends itself well to cycling.
Good luck! Ross.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...