UKC

pronged T nuts in OSB sheets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 07 Mar 2014
Anyone has done that at home. OSB is way cheaper and a home wall will not get changed as often than a commercial wall. Any thoughts/ past experience on the sheets getting mashed and T-nuts getting loose?
 Murd 07 Mar 2014
In reply to French Erick:

mine has been up for 3 years with no problem. Search my posts for pics.
OP French Erick 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Murd:

And breathe...all purchased anyway
OP French Erick 20 Mar 2014

Seems to work well. Will have to see with use.
 john arran 20 Mar 2014

Maybe too late for you but I've used P5 (bathroom grade) chipboard floorboarding (the green stuff) for 2 walls I've built and in 15 years I've never had a single t-nut come loose or indeed any other problem with the boards, despite one wall in a cellar being under water for several months at one time! It's really ideal for the job - the surface of the board is so hard you can hammer it and see no dent.
OP French Erick 21 Mar 2014
In reply to john arran:

Did you choose them on purpose? They are more expensive I think.

Great to have a home wall back. I am fairly unfit though and really getting trashed in there!
 john arran 10 Apr 2014

Sorry Erick, just spotted your question belatedly.

When I last did a comparison - admittedly some time ago now - decent quality ply (as everyone and his dog seems to insist is necessary) was at least twice the price of P5, which was in the same ballpark as OSB. While I admit to not having built any board from OSB it looks to me like the t-nut security may be more variable due to the irregular surface construction. May not be an issue at all but if I can get P5 for the same price and I can be 100% sure it will be bulletproof and perfect for the job I'll always choose it over uncertainty.
Beaky 10 Apr 2014

I used a staple gun after i hammered the Tnuts in as some of the Tnuts popped out when I was taking holds on/off, it works well and save loads of hassle.
 Rick Graham 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Beaky:

> I used a staple gun after i hammered the Tnuts in as some of the Tnuts popped out when I was taking holds on/off,

To get the best out of any T nuts, place them properly..

Drill a hole the exact size or slightly smaller than the T nut and slightly countersink the hole on the T nut side.
Draw the T nut into the wood to fix it with a bolt ( and hold or washer ).

If you hammer it in, its quicker but difficult to set dead square to the board.
If the hole is oversize, the prongs will distort the wood as they are not properly supported.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...