UKC

Van wisdom: fast reliable diesel MWB high roof options £5-7k

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 07 Mar 2014
Hi

Looking for a semi converted van to finish as a camper, maybe an ex Police or welfare/mess van that has already been insulated, lined and wired for lights etc. Might look an ambulance, but looks like a lot of stuff to decommision.

Most seem to be Transits, some Sprinters and a few LDVs and Movanos.

Looking for something > 150HP. Don't mind thirsty

Hints?
 Cuthbert 07 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

I reckon most of those vehicles would have been driven very hard and would avoid them. Case by case basis I reckon.
In reply to iksander:

VW Crafter?
 ripper 07 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

I always kinda fancied one of the old police/ambulance LDV Convoys, with the Rover V8 - most have probably rusted away now though...
 Siward 07 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

Force vans website is one I've been keeping an eye on for a while. They often have some good stuff although much of it has four rear wheels (more tyres to look after). As for having been driven hard, vans can and do take it, rust is the thing to watch out for
 Timmd 07 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

I heard that while police vehicles might be driven hard, they're well looked after as well.
OP iksander 10 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

cheers all, looks like a Sprinter 416 is the way to go
 gribble 10 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

I've recently bought a Renault Master minibus (same as Vauxhall Movano) MWB high top and finally converted it into a camper. Unfaultable really. It came insulated, boarded, carpetted, roof vent and windows, and lighting. Admittedly, the wheelchair lift was superfluous, and I sold it on Ebay for £100. The van cost me £1,300. 133,000 miles on the clock, all gentle miles (ferrying disbaled children around), looked after and good bodywork. If you can find anything like that, I can heartily recommend a Renault Master minibus. And 33mpg fully loaded too!
 suilven 10 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

Mine is a Transit ex-messing unit - toilet, 2 sinks, microwave, all wiring, interior/exterior lights, night heater etc.

All I did was stick in some carpet and a caravan seat/bed. Its is the perfect camper, all mod cons with minimal conversion costs/time.

Mine is 100bhp remapped to 125 and it is fast and economical.

I can't believe more people don't go down this route, it was so cheap and easy!

Pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/87597444@N04/sets/72157632723731581/
 suilven 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

If by well looked after you mean holes in the dashboard, covered in dents and scratches and generally pretty tatty? (Though agreed the engines are well maintained regardless of cost). That was my experience of driving to London from Glasgow to look at 3 or 4. Way overpriced too - 7k for a 12 year old kicked ex-Police van with well over 100k on the clock. My tranny had 38k, 3 years old, and it wasn't much more - you can get them now for 7k too.
 Timmd 10 Mar 2014
In reply to suilven:

I guess of all police vehicles vans are probably going to take the most hammer, a relative had an ex police Senator and that was in very good condition.
 peebles boy 10 Mar 2014
In reply to iksander:

As gribble mentioned in his earlier post - might be worth looking around for an ex-disabled access van of some sort. Most of these will have had a fairly easy life (in comparison to forces or police or ambulance wagons) and come generally floored and lined (though as with most of these types of vans, you'll probably find "lined" doesn't always mean "insulated" so you may still need to remove the lining and insulate the thing).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...