UKC

changing car headlight bulb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d508934 07 Mar 2014
need to change one of my dipped headlights - just noticed on halfords site it recommends to always change both at once. never done that before, any reason to do so? understand it with brakes but not sure why it's needed with lights.

focus mk2 if relevant but suspect it's a standard statement on all their online bulbs
cheers
 Geoff F 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:
I'm no expert, but I've only ever changed the one that's gone. Can't see a reason to change both. In fact I bough a pack of bulbs for my last car from Halfords which had one of every bulb in it!
Post edited at 13:48
 pebbles 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Geoff F:

nice try Halfords
In reply to d508934:

probably just a con to sell more bulbs. Logically though, it would be better if the bulbs has a staggered 'life' so they dont fail together.

But I know that babcocks only change the buld thats out on police cars...
 Choss 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

Sounds like a way to sell you more bulbs than you actually need.

But as ive just got a New motor, it has reminded me to get a set of Spare bulbs and fuses to keep in the glovebox. Cheers.
 Ashley 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

It's recommended as headlight bulbs get more yellow with age so that you have two headlights that are the same colour. Realistically it won't make a difference. Out of habit I normally change both and keep the old good one as a spare in the car in case one blows while I'm out somewhere.
OP d508934 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

out of interest how many spares do you carry i.e. front dipped and main, rear, brake lights, fog lights etc - quite a lot that are all kinda important really. this makes me realise i should carry spares but don;t want 15 different little boxes rattling around the glove box!
 Choss 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

just carry a Spare bulb Kit for my car. just Looked it up 11 quid for Headlight, rear, Brake, Indicator, and aux bulb.

Should cover any important blown bulb Situation on the road.
 LastBoyScout 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

Probably worth changing both on headlights - variances between manufacturers/batches might give slightly different light levels/colours between bulbs.

I'd upgrade both while you're at it - I use Philips high-power bulbs for more/whiter lights.

Everything else, I'd only change the one that's gone.
 gear boy 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

never bothered changing both bulbs, no point..

as to spares carrying, currently rear brake/side and indicator only, but thats because to change any front bulbs needs spanners. PITA, had a dip beam go on me driving to the alps,

but normally you find a few bulbs cover same things, so reversing/fog/separate brake/indicator could be all same bulb,

I have one box with half a dozen bulbs and a few fuses in buried in the boot with the spare tyre, tow rope, jump leads, gaffa tape, and a few assorted tools, triangle, hi vis jkt, etc.
HurrahP 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

no need to replace both unless you can see a noticeable difference in colour between the two...cheeky halfords...

I keep a little spare bulb kit box kinda thing in the car...it's got one of everything in (even an interior bulb!) and i just replace the bulbs in the box as and when...check out eBay if you're interested...
 Dave Garnett 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Geoff F:
> (In reply to d508934) I'm no expert, but I've only ever changed the one that's gone. Can't see a reason to change both. In fact I bough a pack of bulbs for my last car from Halfords which had one of every bulb in it!

It is worth thinking about changing both brake lights when one goes, though. I thought that was a con too but when it happened on my daughter's car we had endless trouble with one or other blowing until we replaced both at once.
OP d508934 07 Mar 2014
In reply to HurrahP:

cheers, these look a good shout - just need a couple of tools, spanners/sockets, to go with it.
 DNS 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

Congratulations on having bought a car on which it is feasible to change the lamp. On a Freelander it's easier to just sell the car when one blows.
OP d508934 07 Mar 2014
In reply to DNS:

have heard that for renaults and cotreons i think that headlamp change requires jacking up vehicle and removal of front tyre. i suppose you wouldn't mind if the bulbs were of such good quality that they lasted say 20 years!
 nniff 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

On my car, one side you can do easily. The other involves taking most of the front of the car off, for which you need - an assistant, ideally a hoist and a ready supply of replacement fasteners. Interestingly, cost for a main dealer to do that - £13.95 including parts, labour and VAT. There's a standard 10 minute allowance to change a bulb......

Cost of a bulb from Halfrauds - £19.50. No wonder they want to sell you two at a time

Wife's car has a slide that you pull out that allows the headlight to be removed. Easy peasy - two minutes.
 Toby_W 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:
I as an electrical engineer have also been thinking about this.... as yet I have not thought hard enough to find a reason for swopping both yet. I only swopped one brake light when it went (with no problems) but did swop both headlight bulbs.

Imagine my annoyance when the very next day Lidl had bulbs in at £5 (for two compared to 18 at Halfords, buy one get one free) for the same type of bulb except better looking in terms of quality and packaging. (German and in a pack of two as standard so with no reason I think there must be some reason for swopping both).

Cheers

Toby
Post edited at 15:43
adam11 07 Mar 2014
The only sound reason I can think of is that some cars require extensive stripping to get at the bulbs. If you do both at the same time, it may prevent another spanner session in the near future.
My Imprezza side light failed and it requires removing the front bumper etc to get at one 8mm bolt. I welded a long bar onto a cheapo 10mm spanner to get at it without the strip down. Next time I'm going to let Halfords do it for their set fee, and take a flask and some butties while I watch then struggle

Jim C 07 Mar 2014
In reply to DNS:

> Congratulations on having bought a car on which it is feasible to change the lamp. On a Freelander it's easier to just sell the car when one blows.

I gave up on my Corsa, my hands are just too big and clumsy, to get the old one out, never mind put a new one in.The lad in Halfords did it , with a little difficulty, without looking ( mostly because you can't see I guess)

I think he has done so many that he could do them blindfolded. ( and he had small hands) but still not easy.

Brass Nipples 07 Mar 2014
In reply to d508934:

Bugger, a light has gone in the bathroom. Best change all the light bulbs in the house then. Sound ridiculous, it is, as it is for a car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...