UKC

Getting experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MattArnold 07 Mar 2014
Hi guys, just wanted a bit of advice from the world of UKC on gaining experience mountaineering.

A bit about me - I have done a few weeks in Chamonix (with a guide) and have climbed peaks like Mont Blanc, Grand Paradiso and done a few climbs (Cosmique Arete on the Aiguille de Midi). I have been working and living in the French Pyrenees working for a mountain guide and have done several 3000m peaks in both summer and winter. I have also guided numerous winter snowshoeing trips on peaks that I know very well. I am very keen to start doing more and more mountaineering and I would like to get to the stage where I can climb sans guide.
Any suggestions of any trips/areas that are good for getting decent experience in either Scotland or the Alps? I have had lots of advice from various guides but wanted to see what you guys thought.
Much Appreciated
Matt
In reply to MattArnold:

>

> Any suggestions of any trips/areas that are good for getting decent experience in either Scotland or the Alps? I have had lots of advice from various guides but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Good Idea, those guides know nothing about mountaineering!

MattArnold 07 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Oh really? Guides know about mountaineering? Well I never!

I may have worded it wrong but I was simply looking for other peoples experiences/suggestions. Thanks for the useful and insightful comment highclimber!
 Blizzard 07 Mar 2014
In reply to MattArnold:

you mean you want MORE experience. Sounds like you have made a good start.

A lot of people on here would say join a club.

Have u got a rack?

Why not post for a partner on here, sounds like you've done a fair bit. How many years have you been mountaineering?
MattArnold 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Hi Blizzard,

I first got into mountaineering when I was 17 (i'm 22 now) and went to Chamonix with my father to climb Mont Blanc with a guide. Weather bad so we did some other ascents and went back the next year and the weather held.

I have got experience for sure but its limited as its either been working with a guide or on peaks that I know inside out. I think my experience taking clients up the mountain has been invaluable but its now just about getting out there and doing it I guess!

Good idea about finding a partner so thanks for that - I was just looking really to see what others have done when starting out mountaineering. I would like to get out and be able to climb etc on my own and I am possibly looking at going down the guiding route myself.

No I don't have a rack - but its on the list amongst many other things. 2 years working for Cotswold I have built up a good stash of kit but a rack is something I didn't get round to as I have always used the kit where I have been working.

Thanks for the post.

Matt

In reply to MattArnold:

> Oh really? Guides know about mountaineering? Well I never!

> I may have worded it wrong but I was simply looking for other peoples experiences/suggestions. Thanks for the useful and insightful comment highclimber!

You're welcome. Any time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...