/ Getting experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MattArnold - on 07 Mar 2014
Hi guys, just wanted a bit of advice from the world of UKC on gaining experience mountaineering.

A bit about me - I have done a few weeks in Chamonix (with a guide) and have climbed peaks like Mont Blanc, Grand Paradiso and done a few climbs (Cosmique Arete on the Aiguille de Midi). I have been working and living in the French Pyrenees working for a mountain guide and have done several 3000m peaks in both summer and winter. I have also guided numerous winter snowshoeing trips on peaks that I know very well. I am very keen to start doing more and more mountaineering and I would like to get to the stage where I can climb sans guide.
Any suggestions of any trips/areas that are good for getting decent experience in either Scotland or the Alps? I have had lots of advice from various guides but wanted to see what you guys thought.
Much Appreciated
Matt
highclimber - on 07 Mar 2014
In reply to MattArnold:

>

> Any suggestions of any trips/areas that are good for getting decent experience in either Scotland or the Alps? I have had lots of advice from various guides but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Good Idea, those guides know nothing about mountaineering!

In reply to highclimber:

Oh really? Guides know about mountaineering? Well I never!

I may have worded it wrong but I was simply looking for other peoples experiences/suggestions. Thanks for the useful and insightful comment highclimber!
Blizzard - on 07 Mar 2014
In reply to MattArnold:

you mean you want MORE experience. Sounds like you have made a good start.

A lot of people on here would say join a club.

Have u got a rack?

Why not post for a partner on here, sounds like you've done a fair bit. How many years have you been mountaineering?
In reply to Blizzard:

Hi Blizzard,

I first got into mountaineering when I was 17 (i'm 22 now) and went to Chamonix with my father to climb Mont Blanc with a guide. Weather bad so we did some other ascents and went back the next year and the weather held.

I have got experience for sure but its limited as its either been working with a guide or on peaks that I know inside out. I think my experience taking clients up the mountain has been invaluable but its now just about getting out there and doing it I guess!

Good idea about finding a partner so thanks for that - I was just looking really to see what others have done when starting out mountaineering. I would like to get out and be able to climb etc on my own and I am possibly looking at going down the guiding route myself.

No I don't have a rack - but its on the list amongst many other things. 2 years working for Cotswold I have built up a good stash of kit but a rack is something I didn't get round to as I have always used the kit where I have been working.

Thanks for the post.

Matt

ads.ukclimbing.com
highclimber - on 07 Mar 2014
In reply to MattArnold:

> Oh really? Guides know about mountaineering? Well I never!

> I may have worded it wrong but I was simply looking for other peoples experiences/suggestions. Thanks for the useful and insightful comment highclimber!

You're welcome. Any time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.