UKC

So what punishment would you think appropriate for this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 07 Mar 2014

http://road.cc/content/news/112975-merseyside-woman-thrown-bike-rope-strung-across-path

I've had a similar accident myself (although it was a naturally occuring vine) and god did it hurt. These sort of incidents do seem tobe getting more common too

More here http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/video-mersey-cyclist-tel...
Post edited at 20:17
 Siward 08 Mar 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Applying the sentencing guidelines for causing gbh with intent, which is what this could well amount to, something in the region of 6 years plus after a trial, depending upon the severity of the injuries.
This woman was very lucky. If, a big if, anyone is ever arrested then attempt to cause gbh with intent would fit the bill.
That's the legal position, what it's actually worth is a different question....
 sleavesley 08 Mar 2014

Well considering a 13 year old girl and 15 year old girl were arrested for it, the punishment may be somewhat different to what an adult may receive.

Some form of community punishment involving cycling - and also something that involved working with and seeing the impact on the victim.
This would be along with a visit to a pyshcologist.
 Siward 08 Mar 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

That'll teach me to read the article properly.
Yes, lands end to John o'groats would suffice.
 peebles boy 08 Mar 2014

Picking up all the litter and dog shit all along the promenade to make it a nicer area to walk and cycle on. Once a week. For a year.

In fact, I think picking up dog shit anywhere should be viable and well used punishment for community service orders. Especially for people who have been caught not picking up their dogs shit in the first place!!
OP balmybaldwin 08 Mar 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

Its an odd one this, if for instance two reenage girls had attacked someone and left them with similar injuries, im not sure anyone would think it overly harsh to send them to a young offenders institute.

Yet because this can be seen as a "prank" rather than a malicious premeditated attack, my initial response and assumption was it was something going too far and should be treated as a minor offence, but the more I think about it, because it can be seen as a prank and potentially copied then more of an example should be made rather than just a slapped wrist.

Tom Valentine 08 Mar 2014

I remember a case some years ago where two lads were dropping stones off a motorway bridge onto passing cars. A motorist gave chase and the two lads ran onto a railway line and were killed by a train. The coroner described their actions as a "prank" which I found extremely disturbing.
 sleavesley 08 Mar 2014

Without knowing further details - I would envisage more of a 'punishment', be it time in YOI or community based for the 15 year old. This is on the basis she is closer to an adult age and could also have influence over the 13 year old.

Worth a look http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/v_to_z/youth_offenders/#a33
 Trangia 08 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

> Picking up all the litter and dog shit all along the promenade to make it a nicer area to walk and cycle on. Once a week. For a year.

>

Sounds like a wholey appropriate punishment. They should also be made to confront their victim and apologise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...