UKC

Webbing belts with plastic buckles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I now have three webbing belts with plastic grip buckles (low profile) made by well known outdoor manufacturers which keep slipping. If you pull them straight on they usually grip, but on a rotund waist they just slowly release . Apart from loosing weight in the belly, is there any DIY thing I can try to get them to maintain grip? Or do I just bin them? (Losing weight is not an easy option!) I like the streamline nature of them as they avoid interference of harnesses and rucksac belts so don't really want to just get chunkier versions of buckles. Any suggestions appreciated. Or any recommendations for ones that work!? Thanks.
 jimtitt 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Braces.
 wilkie14c 08 Mar 2014

Are you threading the right way as these things tend to only grip if threaded correctly
In reply to jimtitt:

> Braces.
I really do not like braces. Actually it's more that I don't like the looseness of the trousers that goes with using braces. Think I was mentally scarred as a child being made to use braces!
 Edvin m 08 Mar 2014

Put some seamgrip on the webbing, it increases the friction and usually help.
In reply to wilkie14c:
> Are you threading the right way as these things tend to only grip if threaded correctly

Think so. As I mentioned if you just pull straight when in your hand they hold. It's when they are buckled around the waist so bend that they release. One belt is actually a replacement belt direct from the manufacturer so I would hope they knew which way to thread!
In reply to Edvin m:
Thanks, I'll google it.
 cuppatea 08 Mar 2014

> ... if you just pull straight when in your hand they hold. It's when they are buckled around the waist so bend that they release...

But I bet they're really quick to do up and adjust mid pitch though? Maybe a similar buckle could be used for harnesses

In reply to cuppatea:

> But I bet they're really quick to do up and adjust mid pitch though? Maybe a similar buckle could be used for harnesses

Quick to pull tight, but quick to start to release again .
 cuppatea 08 Mar 2014

That was my point I have a traditional (he he) dislike of the speed undo zippy speed lock ©®™ style of climbing harness buckles, as irrational as that may be.
 Timmd 08 Mar 2014

Might sound weird, but have you tried 'doubling back' the loop, ie rather than pulling it tight and threading it together, pass both ends past one another as if you're going to go round again, but only as far as one belt loop before threading the belt together.

You'd need to start with it 'inside out'.
 Timmd 08 Mar 2014
Thread as normal, but have it 'inside out', then thread each end past one belt loop, before pulling the ends together then threading them as normal, so you have a little smaller loop which pulls the first loops either side of the trouser button towards each other.

The extra friction might help stop it working it's way undone again.

It's a method I worked out after I lost my trouser button and my trousers kept 'opening up' around the belt I was wearing, but it might work for you too. ()
Post edited at 19:01
 wilkie14c 08 Mar 2014

Well if your UKC name reflects you in real life then perhaps a ratchet tie done off a lorry may work better for you
In reply to Timmd:
Whilst trying to work out what you mean, I've just tried doubling the free unstitched end and then threaded this doubled thickness thro the buckle as normal and it seems to have created more friction but still not enough. It's also not as low profile though being four thicknesses.
I'll think I understand what you mean but my belts are too short in length - cost control by the manufacturer means not much spare in length - they were sized and supplied for specific trousers if you know what I mean. Thanks anyway.
In reply to wilkie14c:
Brilliant. Why did I not think of that. Where can I buy one !
 cragtyke 08 Mar 2014

Forget webbing belts and get an oldschool elastic snake belt off fleabay
In reply to cragtyke:

> Forget webbing belts and get an oldschool elastic snake belt off fleabay

That brought back memories when I google that! Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...