UKC

Electric Bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 08 Mar 2014

In 10 days I start my new job. My new commute is 28 miles if I go on 'mostly' cycle paths (about 60%), or 24 miles if I go mostly main roads. I'm pretty fit and could easy so a 28 mile ride to and from work, but doing it every day will be exhausting and very time consuming. I'm also inclined to take the longer (safe) route.
So... I am looking into electric bikes.

They are pedal assisted so I still get a hard workout for an hour, and they'd allow me to push the speed up to about 26 mph, so maybe get the commute completed in 1 hour 15 mins (because of the stops/lights).

But, I'm struggling with the thought of a motorized bike, but it seems to make sense.

Suggestions, comments, flames all welcomed!
Post edited at 17:28
interdit 08 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:
> So... I am looking into electric bikes.

:-|

> They are pedal assisted so I still get a hard workout for an hour, and they'd allow me to push the speed up to about 26 mph, so maybe get the commute completed in 1 hour 15 mins (because of the stops/lights).

Probably not, unless this is out of date:

- 25kmh (15.6mph) is the maximum assisted speed allowed. ( Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations of 1983 as amended by a 2004 European Directive)
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/electric-bikes-and-the-law-29969/

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

> But, I'm struggling with the thought of a motorized bike, but it seems to make sense.

Not really.

> Suggestions, comments, flames all welcomed!

Ride your commute* some days a week and look into the shitty public transport options for the other days? Good luck, depending upon where you live & work.

* on a normal bike.
Post edited at 18:30
 Choss 08 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Sounds Dreadful. I would tell them where to stick their job
 VS4b 08 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

i think elec bikes will struggle with the range for that commute. I ride 52mile round trip about twice a week at the moment, i think its fine on a good bike, on a heavy elec bike it would be awful. In your place, i would get a airnimal/brompton and try and use public transport for some of the journey some of the time.

PS - 50miles a day is tiring when you have to work too!

OP goldmember 09 Mar 2014
In reply to interdit:
Alternating between bike and public transport is the best (short of moving house) solution i too have come up with. Must be another way!
Job has been accepted, very worth my while...
 Rob Parsons 09 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> ... Must be another way! ...

Get a car?

OP goldmember 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Parsons:
I want to avoid private motorised transport
Post edited at 10:29
 JLS 09 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

>"But, I'm struggling with the thought of a motorized bike, but it seems to make sense."

I think it only makes sense to you!

Unless your a hoping to gain selection for Team GB and a place on the plane to Rio, a 50-60 mile commute by bike, battery assisted or otherwise, isn't really viable.

Short of getting a car or proper motorbike/moped, I guess the best you can do is look into a part cycle, part train option.
 james wardle 09 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Cytronix electric bikes are designed for exactly what you want to do

http://www.cytronex.com/

I have one on a canondale quick 2 and wouldn't go back.

The only comparable competitor is probably the copenhagen wheel from

https://www.superpedestrian.com/

and these are not available until early summer now. but i want one.

good luck
 malk 09 Mar 2014
In reply to james wardle:

' press the Boost button at the bottom of a hill and other cyclists will disappear into the background'
In reply to goldmember:

28 miles each way is a pretty big commute, mine is 13 miles each way and doing that every day is quite tough. I'd reckon on you doing closer to 14mph once you take in to account all the traffic lights, junctions, etc. so nearly two hours each way.

Maybe aim at doing three days a week commuting on a bike and the other two by public transport if that's a viable alternative.
 wilkesley 09 Mar 2014
In reply to a lakeland climber:

If public transport isn't viable, you could probably pick up the equivalent of a Honda 50 motorbike quite cheaply. Easy to park, low environmental impact and cheap to run. Use it on the days you don't cycle.
 Brass Nipples 09 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:
One way is quite achievable. Only on or two at work cycle a 50 mile round trip and that's not often and only in nice weather. If you've got the time and it's nice weather it's great. Riding in foul weather when you're not trying to get somewhere can be fun but if your going to work... Do they have showers where you are going to work?

Electric bikes have a range of about 60 miles now. Since you can charge battery in office an electric bike is quite feasible. If m commute was that far is think along the same ones as you.
Post edited at 16:43
 ByEek 10 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

The only compromise I can see, is that if you get an electric bike, you will end up with something that is great when you are pressing the button, but probably pretty joyless, heavy and cumbersome when you decide to start peddling. I would opt of a couple of days of cycling and the rest by car / public transport. Or drive half way and cycle the rest.
 nniff 10 Mar 2014
In reply to james wardle:

Well, that explains everything.

All those Strava segments on which i bust a gut and yet can't close the gap - the others are all on Cannondale Super Sixes with electric front wheels. You could have some real fun with that.....

In reply to goldmember:

I wouldn't recommend an electric bike for what you need. We have a couple of electric bikes at work as pool bikes. I think they cost about £1200. I've used them a few times when my commuter bike has been out of action. They are ok for urban commuting but I would't use one for longer journeys.

They have ranges of levels of assistance and the I guess the claimed battery life is on minimal assistance with a new battery. You would probably need two chargers and keep one at work and one at home. You lose the simplicity of a proper bike and if the battery runs flat or the bike develops a fault they are virtually impossible to pedal as you are having to overcome the resistance of the motor as well as shift a heavy bike. If you are fit they are no quicker than a reasonable commuter and slower than a road bike as the top speed is limited and you are then working against the motor to get it go any faster. Riding them is a pretty joyless experience and somewhat shameful. None of the cyclists at work use them, they tend to get used for shortish journeys by people who would otherwise drive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...